View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2004
Valued Member contributor

LeeWare is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel
Post Start with the Basics

There are several things you can do to mitigate problem with your online activities. Especially as it relates to P2P. Let me share a few suggestions.

#1 Are you sharing from an environment where you don't control the resources? That is, at a school or from work or an ISP that is not P2P friendly.

The reason I listed this one first is I've had people to contact me with problem downloading and uploading files. That ended up being a problem where some upstream packet shaping application or hardware was in place to discourage such activities. Therefore, it would be helpful for everyone on this board and elseware to make sure that this is not the case before complaining that the application does not work.

#2 Understand your setup. That is, are you using NAT? i.e. your ip address is 192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x or 10.x.x.x. Are you Firewalled? That is using XP or another third part Firewall products? Are you directly connected to the Internet?

Here's another thing that I've seen that causes a lot of problems for inexperienced users. If you are using NAT then you DO NOT NEED ADDITIONAL FIREWALLS. Unless of course you wish to block outbound request. Some users feel like they are better protected if they on top of NAT use the XP firewall + 2 or three third party firewalls. Trust me this is an overly complicated configuration with no real benefits.

Here are my suggestions if you are having problems getting your files uploaded into the network.

#1 Evaluate your situation and make adjustments accordingly.
Simplify your configuration by removing unnecessary firewalls.

#2 I know that for a fact LimeWire works just fine in a NATed environment.

#3 If and only if you are directly connected to the Internet and are using Windows XP ICF. There are two ways to configure it so that it works correctly with limewire.

3a) When you start limewire the system will prompt you to whether you want to allow the program or not. If you select the option to allow then it creates an exception to allow the program. Everything including uploads should work fine with this configuration.

3b) The other way is to go into the firewall settings in XP and create two entries.

3b1) LimeWire TCP Server 6346
3b2) LimeWire UDP Server 6346

Everything should work fine with this configuration.

Finally, #4 verify your LimeWire configuration that is,
open limewire go into /tools/options/uploads/slots make sure the Uploads Per Person Value is greater than 0.

This is a leecher configuration that keeps people from uploading files from you.

Hope this helps.