View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2005
Disciple

Scott Drysdale is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by sberlin
It should be happening with earlier versions, because it was a bug. If it isn't happening with earlier versions, find me the person who developed a time machine.
"it shouldn't happen with ANY version" is a combination joke/reliability prod.
Quote:
It shouldn't be happening with 4.8.1, because the bug was fixed.
i'm trying to make you guys aware that "the bug" isn't fixed, because "the bug" has been reported fixed 3 times and i'm still seeing the same symptom.
Quote:
It doesn't happen when downloading from LimeWire, so the problem probably has something to do with some weird way that BearShare responds. BearShare does do strange things fairly often.
it doesn't happen to anything downloading from me (and i've been running bearshare for at least 4 years now) except limewire.

the "strange thing" that's happening, if you read the posts on the subject, is that limewire is requesting BEYOND the EOF, and bearshare is politely truncating the request to what's available, which, for some reason, ALWAYS happens to be 10 bytes. limewire then repeats the too-large request, and round we go forever.

note that the victim bearshare source has never reported to the misbehaving limewire downloader the wrong file size that limewire is requesting.
Quote:
I can't do much if you're going to be fatalistic about being told it's fixed. It's fixed. EOS.
and how does my attitude affect the presence or absence of bugs in limewire and/or anyone's ability to fix them?

i've half a mind to buy a pallet of dramamine, several barf pails, learn java, and fix the damn thing myself.