View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2005
Charles Hudson

Default Possible explanation for corrupt files?

I am a new user of LimeWire, connected on a cable from a firewalled HP running WinXP. Yes, I am NATted, since I am in a wireless peer-to-peer home network. I am in favor of the open source movement and applaud the efforts of your community.

I have had generally good success with downloads, with a few notable exceptions. After several attempts to download "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" by Jet, I found that each was corrupt, no matter which source I selected.

I noticed that for each attempted download there were at least two sources contributing. I hypothesised that one of these sources might be contributing the corrupted content. I decided to try a different spelling of the title for the song, in order to isolate the spurious contributor. This did not work, for again more than one source contributed content and again the files were corrupted.

Either every copy of Jet's AYGBMG is corrupted, an unlikely situation, but possilble, or some server, perhaps representing the interests of the artists, the publisher or the recording company is "sniffing" traffic and jumping in on every download. They may be trying to discourage access to their material by non-paying consumers.

Does anyone have an opinion of the likelihood of this possibility, and how would one go about demonstrating that this were taking place? Are the IP addresses of every source logged by LimeWire? Just wondering.

Charles Hudson