View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2005
FrostWire Developer

ultracross is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by Freedom
*ring*
lol, that funny as hell^

sdaswani, you seem to be the only one complaining on this issue. NO user wants this, and if i continue to receive these, im going to patch limewire to block this specific client from connecting or sending me results at all. i paid for limewire pro already, so their is no reason in hell i should be getting sponsored results. and no, i cant opt-out of your decision that you forced me into without blocking legitiment lots of content that i want. and it seems that you say

Quote:
Originally posted by sdaswani
In addition to being anti-competitive, excising the feature is reactionary.

1) You have no evidence that spammers are using it.
well, i am an eye-witness to it, and i will provide evidence if its needed. btw, have you seen the definition of spam lately, i have checked, and it says quote: To indiscriminately send unsolicited, unwanted, irrelevant, or inappropriate messages, especially commercial advertising in mass quantities. Noun: electronic "junk mail".
Quote:
2) You are throwing out current *legitimate* (paying artists!) uses to guard against the potential of illegitimate uses. Perhaps you've heard of the substantial noninfringing use doctrine and the reasoning that underlies it? The feature is content agnostic and should not be excised simply because it can be used for bad ends.
[/B]
actually, i have been using gnet for awhile now and havent seen anyone take use of this feature BUT spam.
Quote:
3) Spam can be detected in other ways such that honest uses of the html launch can be allowed to continue.
[/B]
see point 2. also, if we can get to the source of the problem, and fix this exploit of a feature that is not used, then we can get back to fixing other things.

you are defending something noone likes or cares about, you are defending annoying ads that noone wants to see, you are defending something that noone willl ever like, if you are defending something like that, then you are guilty of it also.
Quote:
I don't agree that LimeWire should make the decision about what is offered to users though - doesn't that get away from the ideals of decentralization and openness?
[/B]
why? its their software they are creating. and since i pay for this software, i should have a voice. limewire only creates what the public and MAJORITY of what people want. this isnt anarchy brother.

Quote:
Zlatin, our sponsored results are very upfront. They are clearly marked as "(Sponsored Results)" so users can ignore them like they do for Google AdWords.
[/B]
sponsored by who? i dont remember agreeing with this, and since your client is not a majority gnutella holder, you have a small voice when it comes to that stuff. we dont make deals with terrosists. im not paying you to send me something i dont want. and i believe i speak for everyone on this.
Quote:
If security is your concern, then the best option is to display a warning. You do the same for .exe files.
[/B]
Limewire wont open exe files.
Quote:
If spam is your concern, then excising the feature doesn't stop the spam. Users are already spammed by fake files, mislabeled results, etc., and I'm sure other spamming opportunities exist. Excising the html launch feature does not preclude spammers from sending bogus results.
[/B]
no, but it stops you. 1 down, ~1,000,000 to go. a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.

Quote:
...anti-competitive and monopolistic...
[/B]
companys dont become a monopoly unless the public makes it a monopoly, people like microsoft, so they pay them to be a monopoly (even though i personally dont like them). limewire has a monopoly, and it wasnt by accident. limewire has the trust of the public, so in order to keep this majority rule, then you have to keep giving the people what they want.

keep telling lies, and you become a lier, keep telling the truth and you become trusted.