View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2005
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

Hmm--here 4.9.29 is connecting much more easily as an UP, and seems to pick up leafs much faster than the previous version. I was about to ask if this is coincidence.

Oh well.

--some other notes:

-browse host needs a "refresh" option (one that won't dismiss the tab if the host happens to be busy when the "repeat" option is used).

--Bearshare handles busy queues really well: overnight downloads moved from busy, to queued, to complete very well. Before, I'd avoid BShare results.

4.9.29 is even more of a bee with an itch with Apple's VMem on java 1.4.2_05 too. It quickly gets up well over a gig, and thus I can't run it for more than dozen hours without it crippling my machine [soon to be replaced accordingly].

Under low HD conditions, any dialog that LW needs (like the delete confirmation, or the low HD warning), hangs LW for more than 5 mins. I presume the dialog was cached in the VMem, and takes forever to be recalled.

Although this doesn't affect most of the UP connections, the hang seems to trigger the loss of most of the leafs.

btw--if anyone want to see how many LW cabo versions are out there--download a large japanese movie. Within minutes my upload queue maxed out (20 throttled to 90KB/s) and worked smoothly for about an hour. The bandwidth controls handled the load very well, both up and down, and didn't interfere with other browsing and net activities. Leafs and peers didn't seem affected either. Other than the HD working pretty hard, I couldn't tell LW was working so busily. Nice work on all the core features that are needed to make that happen