View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2006
Disciple

RomanHans is flying high
Question Hmm. No thread about fake servers, or fake search results?

This would really **** me off, if I stopped to think about it.

I was using an old version of Limewire, and I posted here about searches for certain artists that would prompt suspicious returns that somehow stopped Limewire from working correctly. A mod here responded to me that they tried one of these searches with a newer version of Limewire, and now everything is fine.

I installed the latest Limewire for Mac -- 4.0.10 -- and no, it's not fine.

There are two obvious problems that I see. First, there are fake servers out there designed to thwart your ability to download. Connect to these and you'll never get ANY real results back. For one example, on the "connection" page, a vendor/version starting with "morph" means you're connected to a record company's computer.

Second, even the legitimate servers are returning fake results. Probably half the time I search I get something like 25-75 returns, all with the exact string I searched for as the name and the size of 134.4 KB. I have no idea what these folks are doing, but whatever it is it's disabling Limewire somehow, because after a few of these it won't do any more searches at all. (And to the folks doing this: no, it's not stopping me from downloading. I just kill Limewire and then restart it. I hope your fake servers aren't costing you *too* much money.)

Why isn't anybody talking about these problems? Why did some, er, *person* tell me the latest Limewire didn't have this problem? And -- I'm guessing this is the question that'll get ignored here -- is there a solution?