View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2006
Apprentice

naz37 is flying high
Default Periodic drop in download speed

iv been experiancing a rather strange problem for a while now any time i download anything using limewire. When im downloading a file, every ~42 seconds my connection speed drop to zero and then goes back faily quickly to normal, the whole drop from begining to end lasts less then 10 seconds.

eg. im sitting there downloading a movie r something with nothing else running, my downstream speed sitting at ~120Kb/s it then suddenly drops down to 0Kb/s then goes back up to 120Kb/s the whole thing lasting about 5 to 10 seconds. then about 42 seconds after the first drop started, it happens again. and the cycle repeats...

im using limewire pro v4.10.9 but this issue has persisted over several versions of the software. i have Toshiba Satellite A20 notebook, heres the rest of my specs;

broadband 2048/256 Kb/s
Netopia 3347NWG Wireless router
pcmcia 802.11g wireless network card
P4 @ 2.6GHz
1G ram
Windows Xp sp2
McAfee Security Center(Windoz firewall is disabled)

in summary every 42 seconds something is messing with limewires connection. Note its is only effecting my downloads not my uploads, they remain constant through out the drop . im not sure if its messing with my internet connecton in genral or just with limewire(i think its just limewire). if anyone neads any more info on the issue just ask. any help will b greatly appreciated thanks.