View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2001
Unregistered

Question ultrapeer probs with 2.0-beta

I am running the first 2.0-beta and I'm still seeing the poor performance mentioned by many people with 1.9-beta :
As soon as I find an Ultrapeer, I drop all other connections in favor of the Ultrapeer, even though they aren't a very good Ultra.

Specifically:
- they only have 3 hosts
(are they reporting Connections rather than horizon?)
- there are no searches
(though I figure that's by design, right?)
- there are almost no search results
(I set my options to show all Quality of search hits but still get only 1 or 2 on popular searches, e.g. video "star trek")
- I have a T1 connection, so I really don't need to be a client to an Ultrapeer, rather, I expect to *become* an Ultrapeer after I've been on-line long enough.

So, it seems to me that the software still needs to account for the following:
- only become a client to an Ultrapeer if your own connection is via modem (or, add a user-selectable option)
- make sure that Ultrapeers report the size of their Horizon, so that modem users don't get freaked out and think they've lost their own Horizon-size
- there has to be allowance for high-bandwidth users (like myself) to not get "trapped" in Ultrapeer-client mode. If I stay connected long enough to an Ultrapeer, will I be "promoted", ever? FYI - I usually run for weeks at a time.
- make sure that the requested Search/Quality settings function, even after connecting to an Ultrapeer and then changing your settings. For instance, do Ultrapeers request and cache your initial Search/Quality settings?

Tony in San Diego