View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2006
Valued Member contributor

Grandpa will become famous soon enough

Personally I do not care if LimeWire initiates the ability to use torrents or not. I myself use torrents and a public tracker. I prefere the Gnutella network for me it is much faster than torrents on most files. I use torrents when I can not find the file on the Gnutella net I will search for the torrent then DL it after I have it I will share it on the Gnutella net.

The one thing I hope happens is that when they implement the ability to DL torrents is that it also increases the ability of LimeWire to share large files. Many of the files I get from torrents are larger than LimeWires 1GB size limit and cannot be shared with LimeWire.

As far as freeloaders go they are always going to be there and why would you want to impliment share ratios on LimeWire. It's original purpose was as a file sharing app not a file trading app. It gained it's popularity through that philosophy. I believe allot of people do share while they are DL from the Gnutella net and while it may be lopsided DL more than UL it still helps.

I was doing some testing yesturday with 4.12.4 on Vista and was able to simultaneously DL 20 file between 5,000kb and 10,000kb in under 2 min. with LimeWire. And was able to DL a single file 390 MB in 21 min. what is wrong with that.

I do believe that implementing torrents may actually help the Gnutella net due to the fact that it will help get more good files for the net assuming they are going to be DL into the same incoming and shared folders. As Sgt has pointed out in previous post the Guntella net is being sabotaged and the only way to fight that is get more good files. Weather the Gnutella users can win this battle or not remains to be seen but hopefully we can. If you want to see how effective they actually are just do a search for XP it used to be you would get around 200 results now you will get between 5 and 10 thousand do a bitzi on them and no bitprint can be found. So they have effectively stooped sharing of that file.

So before long all that we may have may just be torrents. And as I have stated before LimeWire is by far the most efficient file sharing app I have ever used. It would be a shame if we lost the use of it because the net has become flooded with fake files. At least if the Gnutella net gets flooded LimeWire will survive and we will still be able to use it for torrents.

java.com - Hot Games, Cool Apps

A little common sense goes a long way

Later Grandpa