View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2006
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Svchost

Juliettebrandice

If your Windows XP can run without "svchost" then OK but from my own experience XP becomes unstable (and will probably crash) if "svchost" is not running.

Now, I do know that "svchost" causes your PC to become vulnerable by accessing the internet and opening ports without your permission, this is what first brought this “MS app” to my attention. However, I found that if I blocked "svchost" from accessing the internet with my firewall my XP remained stable while the expected vulnerability, i.e. opening unprotected ports, no longer happened.

You have said:
Quote:
if it is causing problems, delete it. As I said, I have done it, and have been doing it for months everytime it comes back and have had no problems.
If you deleted svchost.exe from your hard drive then it could not come back so I guess what you really mean is that you terminate it when it starts to run.

Either way, I think you have taken care of the symptoms without curing the problem, i.e. you still have a virus on your system but now you can’t see what it is doing.

But as you said, it works for you.

UK Bob