View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2007
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default A Brief Lesson in how the Internet Works

Dudekwl

First of all, LW does not keep track of your IP address, however where ever you go on the internet and whatever server you go on you leave your IP address behind, i.e. the server logs it.

For example, if I was to browse the Amazon.com site the Amazon server would log that I have been there, what pages I looked at and how long I spent there. Some of this information will be also kept and stored by my ISP. Amazon.com would/could go on to share this information with Amazon.co.uk or any other Amazon site throughout the world.

OK, going one step further, whenever you use LW, just like your browser, you leave your IP behind on any PC or server you download from. If you check your "Connection TAB" when using LW you will see and can note the IP addreses of the PCs downloading stuff from you.

This will be how the record companies, and their agents, will know who is downloading copyright stuff. They will then take this to your ISP, demanding the logs of your activities, and then make a legal (or semi-legal) attack on you.

Hope this answers your question.

UK Bob

PS. ISPs in Europe, by EU law, have to store all logs of their customers activities from 6 months to 2 years and I believe that the authorities in the US are trying to introduce a similar law.