View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2008
Novicius

Zoomclub is flying high
Question Quality Column - Spoof "File downloaded" tick?

Yep - title of this post does sound bizarre - but hey, it got you reading right?
Apologies if this topic is actually covered elsewhere in the forums - I had no idea what the hell to search for to try and find out!

Just interested to know if anyone else has noticed that whatever file they search for - at least audio files - almost 100% of the time you get a file at, or very near the top of the results with the "Tick" on a white page icon - In the "Quality" column

Sorry - Am a new user & not sure exactly what this indicates - but assume it means a file that you've already d/l or have in your shared LW folder. (Some of these results do make sense, 'cos it is a file I've already got)
What I've noticed is that this frequently shows when it's a file I've not d/l or even have on PC in any folder.
Just in fact searched for a track by a band I've never even heard before - let alone possess any tracks by - Sure enough 1st result is tickbox in quality col' and showing as being available from multiple hosts in the # column - this seems to be another feature of this spoof - or whatever it is!

Would I be right in thinking this is some kind of spoofing technique used by the t*@%'s that use LW to spread viruses, spam, etc?
More importantly, Is there any easy way of blocking these results? - File sizes and formats always appear as expected, and the actual filenames aren't the obvious "freeclub" or "Really rare track" type bollox so isn't really obvious that they're not genuine results - except for this Quality Column strangeitude (As the Ozrics would say)

If this is total nonsense at least I'll get rid of the nag msg about making my 1st post if nothing else!

Cheers

Zoom

Windows 2000 SP4
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000
1Gb RAM
1GB HD Space Free
ZoneAlarm Security Suite V 7.0.462.000
AVG Anti Virus Free V 7.5.0.504
Broadband Conn’ from Home – Provider = PlusNet. BT Voyager 210 Router.
Limewire 4.14.12 Pro. Java 1.6.0_03
LW website test = “Your test worked”

Last edited by Zoomclub; February 22nd, 2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Add info