View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2008
Apprentice

QtrTillDawn is flying high
Default Yes, I did search for these answers!

This is several questions at once, and some may need to be elsewhere in the forums. But most are basic questions that I did not find answered elsewhere, (yes I did much searching and reading), only to find that the questions addressed were never answered because the (below) information was not entered. Anyway:

1st question; On the Logging page it list "upload started", it never list completed. But on the Monitor page it shows the progress bar and it times out normal looking. And on the library page under uploads it shows 1/1, 2/2 etc. ARE these uploads working properly? I see in the forum that the 1/1 etc. Is a good indication that is is.

2nd question; As you can see below, my upload speed is decent, but again on the monitor page, (and on the bottom of Limewire), it shows an average of 27KBs for one download and an average of 25KBs each for two, (haven't seen three at a time yet), under Tools>Options>Upload = max. Bandwidth allowed. IS this a sharing feature split between the three ultrapeers? Or is something else slowing down the uploads?

3rd question; Under Tools>Options>'Speed' I clicked "Broadband" but on the Search>View my 2272 shared files, it post the speed as 'Dial-up'. I have no problem searching, so under Tools>Options>Searching = 'All Qualities' is checked. Is this a function of this or does Limewire think I have Dial-up?

4th question; Under 'Library' of shared files, it list "Locations" as 0 for everything. But when I do a search, it finds hundreds. I seem to get 1000s of hits on each file, (understanding most are just good keywords), so it is at least at some number of locations, not zero. Or do I have my settings messed up? (Remember, most Options are still at default).

5th question; How can I get more than three connections, (ultrapeers), less going to pro? I have read some hacker solutions, I am not too excited about. And I have no problems with download speeds, and read that speeds don't really increase with pro anyway. The only real solution I found is moving down the tree. (I am still listed as a "Leaf").

Thank you one and all in advance for any answers.
Below is my setup information.

HP Compaq Presario SR1901WM
AMD Anthon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
2.20GHz, 2.18GB Ram
Windows XP Home, (build 2002), SP2
160GB HD, but use 80GB HD for file share location, (used ~10GB).
Norton Internet Security 2006, ver. 9.1.1.7
Norton Anti-virus, ver.12.8.0.4
Windows firewall - OFF, (but Limewire 'excepted')
Norton firewall - Limewire 'excepted'
UPnP - enabled
Network = Intel 21143-based PCI fast ethernet adapter - packet schedular miniport
Mediacom 15Mbps/1Mbps - standard modem
North Carolina ISP
Router = LinkSys wireless-G, (model #: wrt54g)
Speed Test - Last Result: (via Speakeasy.com)
Download Speed: 14458 kbps (1807.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 922 kbps (115.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

EDIT: This is a home network with three wired and one wireless desktop and occassionaly a wireless laptop. (Mine is wired). But these speeds are the same with or without the other computers turned on.

LimeWire 4.16.7, Java 1.6.0_05
Tools>Options = "Default" except file share location
Connection = very strong, (five bars)
Firewall = detected, (little earth with a brick wall).
2200+ files to share, (1100 songs x two formats, wma & mp3)
1000s of hits average per file
100s listed uploads per day average? (see above question #1).
Online approx. 23 hours a day, usually only disconnect for repairs/updates etc.

Last edited by QtrTillDawn; May 23rd, 2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Added info.