View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2009
Disciple

lengoldstein is flying high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
If the file will fit using 1-pass (I don't see why it wouldn't), then it will also fit using 2-pass with much better variable encoding, thus keeping fast action sequences at a higher bit rate, while letting slow action sequences slip into lower bit rate.

Which is why I highly recommend using 2-pass encoding.

One thing I really don't get though is why someone would download an AVI for the sole purpose of transcoding to DVD. Just download the DVD and skip the process of encoding.
There's no question that 2-pass yields results superior to 1-pass. However, I wasn't recommending 1-pass to shrink the file size. As I said, "You might try changing it to Fast Encoding (1-Pass), though that shouldn't change the physical size of the file, but at least you'll find out sooner that it won't fit." enigma257 had complained that it took 4-5 hours of encoding before he was informed that the transcoded file was too big, and 1-pass would at least get him the results sooner.

As to why he'd download an AVI instead of the DVD, some videos are too new or old or rare to be out on DVD, and many ISPs charge by the number of GBs downloaded or even slow down accounts that download over a certain amount per month. My own ISP, Comcast, has a 250GB monthly bandwidth limit.