View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2009
Airhead

birdy has a distinguished reputationbirdy has a distinguished reputation

Hi Nick,

If you're running both LW & uTorrent then you'll be sharing your bandwidth between the two - so your downloads & uploads won't be as fast as they could be if you were running just one app at a time. I don't run the 2 together. If you desperately want to run both at once, make sure that their ports are different numbers. But be prepared to see slow speeds.

Check out this thread (the first few posts by murasame) for tips about how to configure your bandwidth & other settings: A few things to consider while configuring Limewire for optimal performance...

There's an option within LW 4 where you can choose not to share with people if they're sharing less than a certain number of files. To be honest, I don't know if this feature has ever worked properly. I've browsed people uploading from me who were sharing only a couple of files - and at the time I had my LW set to share with people who were sharing more than 10 files.
Sharing files can make a difference to how successfully you can download, but I don't think the number of shares makes much difference.

If you want to make more files available to people, check out this link: How to Share Folders (click on link)

If LW's not responding on your computer but is still open (ie it hasn't shut down), the connection to the person that you're downloading a file from can remain. So the download can continue. I don't know anything about LW's behaviour when it's deemed not responding, so I don't know how long it would take for a download to fizzle out... somebody else here might know.

Files that always need more sources are likely fake files. Check out the links below for info about these.
Fake files showing up in search results
How to use Bitzi
Virus thread: Typical virus spam file sizes - Make a note of them (click on blue link to see)
How to find music(tips for movies, too)

For files that are hard to delete, check out the thread below.
http://www.gnutellaforums.com/337928-post2.html

Don't forget to use the forum search (button at the top of the page between 'New Posts' & 'Quick Links'). Most info that you need can be found using a search