View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2010
Apprentice

daleswife is flying high

Here's what I know...Sorry in advance for not knowing some of the information, I'm very new to Mac and don't know where to find some of the info. Thanks for helping me!

1. OS version? Mac OS 10.5.8
2. What firewalls you have? I have whatever is standard for a mac - I haven't downloaded any firewall/virus protection.
3. How much ram? Don't know where to get this information. ?
4. Hard Disk space available? Don't know where to get this information ?
5. Connection type? We have comcast cable (Florida), so I think broadband.
6. Modem & router brand name & model numbers? Not sure of the name but it is a model/router wireless all in one and have never had a problem with it
7. Where are you trying to connect from? Home
8. What version of LimeWire (LW) & Java do you have? I downloaded Limewire 4.16.7. Don't know where to get Java info from?
9. Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)? Comcast
10. Do this simple test for us. Using your browser go here: http://www3.limewire.com:6346/ The page should say 'Your test worked!'. What happens when you go there? NOTHING AT ALL, It doesn't load the site at all.
11. Are you sharing the connection with other computers or p2p sharing programs? No
12. Is this a your 1st try at LW or is this a new problem with an experienced user? A couple of years ago I downloaded LW on a windows computer and had no problem at all. Like I said in the first post, I'm new to Mac so I could be doing something wrong.
13. (a) Do you see a brick wall in front of the blue world icon at the bottom of LW's interface (only for LW 4 users)? YES (b) How many red or green bars do you see at bottom left of LW's screen? Four red bars and I think the smallest bar is green, but it's so small it's hard to tell!
14. For those using a modem/router, how is your modem/router set up...are you port forwarding or is UPnP enabled? I don't know what this means (?)
15. What security programs are you using (antivirus etc)? Some people might not be aware that their security suite includes a firewall. None, just the firewall setting in Mac Security area, and I've set it to accept LW.
16. What country are you living in? USA
17. Has anything in your setup changed recently? Have you updated your version of LW or Java? Have you added any new software or new hardware? Have you updated any software? Have you moved house, changed internet plan or ISP etc etc? No. Same house, same ISP, just new to Mac.