View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2010
Grey Beard

Total Eclipse is flying high

Before you start randomly downloading Torrents try and read as much about them. There are several programs you can download that in combination with the Client you pick will increase your productivity.

If you plan to use torrenting for illegal purposes, there is a chance that you can be caught if you do not take the right precautions. Peer Guardian 2 is a great way to protect yourself against people looking to catch you in the act. I generally focus on Music and I have about 100GB currently available to stream I use a VPN but that’s really not necessary. I got a computer removed and a fine a few years ago and though I might as well pay some extra cash as I’m already running a T1 I don’t see a point in being disturbed. Although I’m In Canada and it’s pretty much just a slap on the wrists so make sure you know your federal law.

I tend to limit the bandwidth on other running seeds in order to force bandwidth onto that one. The more complete copies there are in circulation, the more seeders there should also be, thereby speeding up everyone else’s downloads

When creating your torrent, by default it will be set up to "automatcially" set the size of chunks... I believe this is true of all such utilities. I advise - after reading enough help files - to set it to something like 512 kB. This does three things: first, it results in a lot less "lost" or "wasted" data. If I were to attempt to download your torrent and your chunk size was 4 MB and there was any sort of error or connection issue, I'd have to start downloading that 4 MB all over again. This is rather bothersome if I already had 3.98 MB before having to do that. Secondly, smaller chunks will save bandwidth on your end and on the client end while your program of choice will be able to more accurately depict your share ratio. Thirdly... for aesthetics alone... progress indicators will update more quickly