View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2010
Novicius

mac_limewire_guy is flying high
Default Limewire Anonymously/Securely (How do I know that Limewire is actually using Tor?)

I have searched through and read all the threads about Limewire and Tor but the discussion did not really answer my question (and the threads were quite old to start posting in again). I have a currently working configuration of Tor using Firefox/Vidalia/Polipo on MacOS 10.4. I also believe I have successfully configured Limewire to use Tor, as I am on a corporate network and I want anonymity. I understand that people can see that I'm using Tor, but I just don't want people to see what I'm using it for.

Here's how I configured Limewire:

Under Options>Advanced>Proxy set Proxy to HTTP, use "localhost" (no quotes) in the Proxy name box and use port 8118. My listening port under Firewall Connections set itself to 30633. Before it was using a low number (6346) and Limewire was not connecting - probably because the network admins have a range of ports blocked. UPnP remains selected (unchanged).

But here's the thing. How do I know that Limewire is actually using Tor? It's not like I can point Limewire at an easy test page like Are you using Tor?. I left Limewire running overnight (with no downloads) and I can keep it connected. Tor circuits reset about every 10 minutes, and I've noticed that my connections in Limewire reset every 10 minutes or so, and sometimes a reset brings a better connection than others. I guess I could assume that it's using Tor, but is there a way to find out for certain?