Thread: Features doubts
View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2010
Phex Developer

GregorK is flying high

Quote:
Originally Posted by zageyiff View Post
* Which gnutella version is phex implementing. As I found there are different specification.
Phex is implementing the most current version, lets call it 0.6, and is additionally supporting a long list of protocol extension.

Quote:
* Which search mecanism it uses. Looking at the source code I've found it uses Dynamic Queries, I just want to make sure here. And is it the only mechanism used?
Yes it uses Dynamic Queries. Older search methods are not supported anymore.

Quote:
* I've been looking for a way to do a hashcode search programatically using the phex source code. I haven't found anything, can anyone point me in the right direction.
Phex supports hashcode queries, though they are not generally supported on the Gnutella network. You can assume that your hashcode searches wont return very satisfactory results, they will usually get dropped very fast.
Check out ResearchSettings.startSearch()

Quote:
* It would be great to have a firewall to firewall transfer, which I see is in the roadmap (http://www.phex.org/wiki/index.php/Roadmap). The question here is if there is an estimated time for when the development on this feature will start and how long will it take?
I see there's also a feature to support the limewire's mojito DHT which may help with the firewall to firewall transfer. Is there any estimated time for this as well?
We are looking for developers who would like to work on these topics. If you like to contribute you would be very welcome.

Quote:
* Is there a way that when bootstraping the phex client, it will find the clients in the local area network. I suppose it would by doing a multicast or broadcast in the network to identify which phex peers are on the same network. This will help in doing downloads faster if the file being wanted to download is within the same network.
Yes that would be a very nice feature. We have some ideas how we would like to improve local network support. Though we currently don't have the time and resources to work on this topic. Like already mentioned above, we would be happy to get help.

Quote:
* Does phex have a limit handling large files?
Yes: 2^63 - 1 bytes ~ 8 exabytes

Quote:
* Are there any plans on implementing UPnP and NatPMP??
Yes, once we found someone who would like to help.