View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2012
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Anybody who volunteers to work on it. I was told Java programming is easy to learn.

Yes, there are already later gnutella network technologies that LW does not possess. And eventually LW will become a partially out-of-date client that is not given favor to connect to by other later developed clients.
Also, LPE has some bugs that really do need some working on.

The most severe bugs I see are the LW 5 upload technology which is a totally different technology to LW 4's upload technology. Personally I would suggest dumping LW 5's upload technology and replacing with what worked, which was LW 4's upload technology. LW 5's upload technology is not good for the network. I guess many people do not see this because they do not share as many files as the average person did in years past.

Upload Queueing is borked. Seems LW 5 has very short queuing list for uploads compared to the slots set. And since upload slots cannot be set per person, this can cause a few issues. Such as a message "Unable to upload: upload limit reached". I see this frequently. If it happens too many times to the same host, LW treats them as a 'greedy host/client' and firstly reduces how many slots they can have, and next step is to auto-ban them for a period of time, thirdly LW5/LPE auto-bans them for the entire session. These steps can all happen within a short-time depending on the host's actions. Also the queuing preference given per first host-in-line instead of first file-in-line. No other gnutella client uses such stupid technology which falls into the hands of anti-file-sharing companies who will fill your upload slots for days on end to prevent you sharing to anybody else.

And unless a host has downloaded the hash of a file within a certain period of time, an error message will show to the uploader: "Unable to upload: invalid request". I see this very frequently. I only recently discovered the reason for this error message, this seems to be one reason but not the only reason. This bug was reported in the LPE thread. I later posted all my LPE bug findings on page 18 of that thread. My frustration shows a little lol.