View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2012
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation
Default Client and Port block options

It would be good if Phex could introduce client blocks as well as known bad port blocks. We all know the following version in the attachment is a spam client. And they like to use a particular port. Whilst FrostWire released some of their Windows versions using the LimeWire name, I do not believe they ever released a release client version, nor will they ever release one for the gnutella network. If users identify a client specifically designed for spamming, it would be good if we had our own abilities at blocking such clients. Blocking via ip addresses becomes cumbersome, since a lot of spam companies use fast switching proxies.

Client and Port block options-spam-27016-ultrapeer.gif ack, this attachment looks so small to click, hope you can see it lol.

On that topic of fast switching proxies, a day or two ago I had Phex, LW and multiple BearShares running. I was DDOS'd from everywhere in the world. Even for 15+ minutes after I switched all such programs off and was not connected to the gnutella network. Mind you I have a heavy firewall blocking list when I wish to use it. I thought it best to turn computer off and force change my ip but some spam groups seem to be able to detect a person's new address even outside of gnutella network. ie: my firewall gave me high numbers of hits from such groups soon after my computer was on again with a new address.

Note: I make no excuses for including the address in the example image. Those involved in computer virus spam and DDOS activities deserve public exposure IMHO. Even if the address is probably a proxy.

Edit: Duh, Phex already has a port block option. I never noticed it before. Not sure of any other gnutella program that has this option.