View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2012
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

I've provided alternative Full-Hostiles versions. 1. Hostiles with full Japanese Block: BearShare - Hostiles Blocklist 2012 . . 2. Hostiles with just standard Japanese fien spam client Block: BearShare - Hostiles Blocklist 2012-NoJapBlocks

Sorry if it sounds confusing. No longer separate installer for the Beta and regular BearShare (finally figured out how lol), just separate installer for either of the (1) or (2) options above. Or alternatively the Hostiles.txt file as a zip if you prefer to place the file yourself: 1. Hostiles_2012 or 2. Hostiles_2012_NoJapBlocks (which means just standard Japanese fien client blocks.) Sorry for the silly name but needed something to distinguish them.

The Full-Japanese Block is not a true 100% Japanese block, it blocks about 85-90% of their ip ranges. The non-Japanese blocklist is a much larger file as you might imagine because it includes many of their individual and small range blocks.

Fresh hosts added. I will not be updating these files as often as I have been over past couple of months which was every 1-2 weeks. I've been working on LimeWire blocklists and now there's simply too many lists to maintain.

The reason for the Japanese block: Several people contacted me in regards to (a) reducing the options for connecting mostly only to Japanese hosts, (b) Finding material through hosts that are more regionally or more culturally-similar to share with. (c) reducing Japanese spam.

The reason for the non-Japanese block: I feel there should be a choice for users.
Over the years I have personally downloaded a lot of Japanese music and video and shared material back. It's only been the past 18 + months that the Japanese anti-file-sharing companies have become somewhat over-bearing and very high in numbers.
There is a large 'genuine' file-sharing community in Japan. It is not their fault both the Japanese government and business is sponsoring anti-file-sharing companies to cause problems on the Gnutella network. The Japanese file-sharing community should not be left out in the cold for that reason alone.

Edit: as of two days ago: Edit February 2013: a single installer is now inclusive of both options and for either standard BearShare or the BearShare 5.1 Beta Test version.

Edit 13 March 2013: added a small Japanese range that was in the LW equivalent list but missing in BSHostiles list. Will now work the files on XP instead of Win 7 after finding processing errors, which did not affect using the file however. The blank lines only showed on XP. On 2000 simply a marker. And Win 7 did not show any issue.
If there is an error in the hostiles, BearShare will do either of the following as soon as it opens: 1. Delete almost all (over 99%) of the contents of the file. 2. Remove all contents after a point somewhere near the error. 3. Will ignore the host listings which have errors.

Last edited by Lord of the Rings; March 12th, 2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: updating details again