View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2012
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

If anybody is interested ...

I think I might have discovered a new network set-up to spam and DDoS based in France. All the host addresses are within two small adjoining sub-ranges of each other. I have not seen any of these host addresses on any other blocklist. Something to keep in mind is some hosts do not attack the client program directly, but once they know your address they will periodically DDoS you. The affect of this a is drop in search results, possible loss of upload and download connections or loss in speed or consistency in either activity, and possible loss of connections with hosts, and at worst loss of internet connection. Those are their purposes. That is why I do strongly recommend blocking the worst of them via your firewall at least. And also to take the weight off your program taking all the hits when they are directed at it but not actually attempting to download or anything (ie: DDoS'ing your program client.) If anybody wants a list of the worst DDoS hosts then just ask.

Anyway update to the blocklist will be coming soon.

For LimeWire users, I have figured a way for both LW 4 and LW 5 versions to read a blocklist file in similar fashion to BearShare and FrostWire. Except these blocklists for LW use CIDR format which I was told start of year is more memory friendly than the older format BearShare uses. Also, the size of the Heavy/Strong Blocklist is 25% smaller than the original BearShare Blocklist and 10% smaller than the FrostWire blocklist. But is no less powerful. I will post a release on this in a few days time. Still doing last updates to the blocklist which is a very slow process when I have several lists to update. The LW blocklist version has been tested with 4.14 to 5.6.2. I have not yet tested earlier versions. Results have been seconded by a second person.
If you want me to test earlier versions of LW then bump the 'like' this post/thread and give your reason for testing earlier LW versions and it will be done.