View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2012
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default DDos Attacks and Other Dodgy Stuff

Hi LOTR

You, like I, probably suspect that these attacks are sponsored by the RIAA and with tacit approval of of the US Government, even though what is being done to your computer is illegal in most western countries.

Plus, while you as an Australian citizen are likely to enjoy the protection of your government, and the sanctity of your laws, in the UK I would have no such protection if I continued to use P2P software.

Therefore, while you can continue to use P2P software, because you have broken no Australian law, while I, if accused by the US of doing something against one of their laws, the UK government would virtually say "come and get him, he is all yours".

Now, you could call me paranoid because there is nothing tangible I can point to in order to support my position. However, there is enough experiential observations to show that unless a poor unfortunate UK citizen has public support the maxim seems to be "What the US wants the US gets".

While you could go to the authorities and complain that your computer is under attack, if I was in your position I would be laughed out of the police station, i.e. if you are hacked or electronically attacked in the UK you can only report it to the police.

The way I see things going is that sooner or later the last bastion of individual freedom (Australia) will be sold out to the US, just like the UK has, and there will be concerted pressure to discourage the use of P2P apps, just as it now is in the UK.

So, because of the various things happening to discouraged P2P usage, e.g your ISP, various UK government backed campaigns, possible US sanctioned attacks, etc. I no longer use P2P software and the reason why I would not advise anyone else to use it either.

UK (Paranoid) Bob