View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2013
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation
Default Connection Fixes for various Clients including Cabos, Acqlite, and all the LimeWire clones

With exception of Cabos, Acqlite and Acquisition, users of all the LW clone versions should see http://www.gnutellaforums.com/connec...t-connect.html if the connection installer for your program does not fix your problem. Simply swap the name of LimeWire for your own program in all references to LimeWire. In case you did not know, all clone versions are almost identical to LimeWire version 3 or 4. However, LuckyWire users should reference the LW 5 connection help.

Note: a few of the clone programs are hyper-sensitive to firewall and router NAT detection and may have more problems connecting than even the original LW 4. Best answer is to port forward for both TCP and UDP the port the program is using or add a fresh port perhaps between 20000 and 59000. Setting up Port Trigger is another option. portforward.com is best place to find instructions for your specific modem-router brand and model.

Also keep in mind some of the clones can be very slow to connect by their very nature. Up to 20 or 50 minutes for full connection on occasions. This is not the case for the more modern clients such as Cabos and Acqlite.

Although many/most of the LW 4 clones have GWC support, almost all of them use built-in lists of totally out of date and no longer existing GWC's and UHC's. My attempt at updating the list resulted in the program over-writing my list with the out-of-date list. Not sure this applies to all LW4-clones but certainly a handful I tried this experiment with. Poor design by the devs; the programs should be able to share newly found and working GWC's between them. A concept and technology that's been around and used since at least mid last decade.

* Important note for MacOSX users: Cabos for OSX appears to be a 32-bit only app and does not work with OSX 10.7 or later (though Cabos 0.7 can run on OSX 10.6.) Use Acqlite instead; it is a universal 32/64-bit app. Acqlite is a smoother and neater looking program and has a couple of extra tools. The open source Acqlite was originally designed as a cross between Cabos and the commercially sold Acquisition.
Cabos on MacOSX is broken either due to being (i) 32-bit only (true) or (ii) containing remnants of the obsolete Carbon (Classic) support (true for Cabos 0.8) which OSX no longer supports and (iii) the cabos inbuilt osx utilities using redundant outdated approach for reading osx version:
Connection Fixes for various Clients including Cabos, Acqlite, and all the LimeWire clones-cabos-osx-broken.png (Cabos does not identify as being compatible for Mac OSX 10.7 or later. ~ From vague memory Cabos 0.8 stopped running after installing 10.6 snow leopard (I've since confirmed this.) Use Acqlite instead, it's almost identical to Cabos and was the developer's personal pet project. I personally give Acqlite the thumbs up!)

Connection fix (Windows users)

If you are using Cabos, find a ConnectFix installer SaberCat or via Mediafire. Due to the destination of the hostiles file you might be asked for administrator permission to install.

(The Cabos/Acqlite connection installer also includes an updated hostiles file, always at least as up-to-date as the date of the installer and often updated again weeks later but with same installer date. This hostiles will replace the older hostiles file from back in 2008/2009 that does not incorporate the latest hostile threats and some removed ranges that are no longer a threat.)

Cabos 0.7 & 0.8 have TLS disabled by default due to a buggy version of TLS in the same way TLS was buggy for LimeWire (from LW 4.12 to 4.16) until the LW 4.17 beta release. Do not enable TLS for either Cabos or Acqlite in settings! Otherwise whilst you might maintain a single connection, the other connections will disconnect within 10 to 30 seconds. This tends to be the case over a reasonable period of time.

As of late July 2023, all Connection installers are now online installers in the respect they download up-to-date host connection data via the internet. (Updates to the list should be at least once an hour.) For this reason you can keep the installer in case you need to use it again. Ensure the program you are installing for is CLOSED and not sitting in the Tray before using the installer. Any problems with any installers please contact us to let us know.

If you are instead using either: 360Share, . Addax, . Bearshare Turbo, . BitRope P2P, . CitrixWire, . DexterWire, . Emerald P2P UltraPeer, . GnutellaWire, . KoolWire, . LemonWire, . LimeRunner, . LimeShare Pro, . LimeWire MP3, . LimeWire Music, . LimeWire Turbo, . LimeZilla, . LuckyWire, . MP3 Rocket (pre-2011 versions; probably 5.4 being last version for gnutella), . MP3 Torpedo, . MP3Suite, . MP3treat, . Sharest, . ShareWire, . ShareZilla, . TurboWire, . WinMX Music, or . WireStack then find a LimeWire Multi-CLONE ConnectFix here or at the first link shown above.

Instructions:
1. Download the ConnectFix installer for your program.
2. Unzip the file.
3. Make sure the program you are installing it for is closed and not sitting in the tray.
4. Open the ConnectFix installer and follow the instructions. Choose your program carefully from the list. In the case of the LimeWire Multi-CLONE ConnectFix, it is a long list in english alphabetical order.
5. After installation is finished, open the program you installed it for. Wait several minutes for it to connect.
6. If your program does not connect after 30 minutes, then close the program and wait one minute, then open again. It should connect upon this second opening. If still no connection, repeat process.
7. If all the above fails, then see advice given here http://www.gnutellaforums.com/connec...t-connect.html
8. If still no success, then create a new thread in this section with your system details and hopefully someone can assist you.

If the installer does not work as intended for any particular program, please let us know so we can rectify it. Such problem might be not installing into correct location. From memory I tested installing for all the above but perhaps I might have missed one.

Edit: 22 January 2013, added 'LimeWire MP3' to the list.

* Make sure you have given the program an exception in your firewall: http://www.gnutellaforums.com/connec...-firewall.html except change the name from LimeWire to the one you are using. The default port is usually 6346.

Connection fix (MacOSX users)

First see MacOS security - Using legacy apps on Mac OS. The connection installer for MacOS is not developer signed or notarized (I'm not willing to pay the US$99 annual fee to code-sign a simple script-app (unless someone wishes to donate the fees. lol.))

If you are using either Cabos, Acqlite or Acquisition, find a ConnectFix installer SaberCat or via Mediafire.

The connection installer is an unsigned app, to download and use please first see MacOS security - Using legacy apps on Mac OS.

* Make sure you have given the program an exception in your firewall: http://www.gnutellaforums.com/mac-os...tructions.html & change the program's reference name to the one you are using. The default port is usually 6346.

As noted earlier, the Cabos+Acqlite+Acquisition installer will replace the original old hostiles file from 2008/2009. It is highly recommended you do this. Due to the hostiles being stored within the application package, you may require administrator permissions to install the hostiles file. Alternatively, try moving the Cabos or Acqlite program from Applications to Desktop and installing the hostiles file whilst there (the installer will find it), then returning the program back to Applications folder.
The Cabos/Acqlite hostiles is updated for public release probably between every 2 to 4 months, even if the hosted connection installer is named with a date months earlier than now.

Cabos and Acqlite both have TLS disabled by default due to their version of TLS being buggy in the same way TLS was buggy for LimeWire until the LW 4.17 beta. Do not enable TLS for either Cabos or Acqlite in settings! Otherwise whilst you might maintain a single connection, the other connections will disconnect within 10 to 80 seconds. This tends to be the case over a reasonable period of time. (Obviously the Cabos+Acqlite developer forgot to update TLS.)

Acquisition note (Oct 2021): The next connection installer release will exclude Acquisition support. The free version of Acquisition was a trial program & that use-by date passed well over 10 years ago. Extremely rare to see any Acquisition apps on network now. Use Acqlite instead, it is a much nicer looking app.

If people can tell me of other LW clones that use either Windows, MacOSX or Linux, then I will add them to the list for connection fixes. An earlier version of MP3 Rocket is the only other MacOSX program I am aware of. The LuckyWire OSX version no longer seems to be available for download.

I would also greatly appreciate any assistance with translations, so they can be accurately multi-language. First release is only in english (with exception of the MacOSX version which has partial translations.)

Recognise your program's icon? (click to see larger view) Connection Fixes for various Clients including Cabos, Acqlite, and all the LimeWire clones-lw-clones-larger.jpg

Last edited by Lord of the Rings; February 3rd, 2017 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Edited to include details about Cabos/Acqlite hostiles update frequency & how to do.