View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2013
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

In the March 13 update over half of the new listings are the port 27016 spam clients. So that will take 128 away from the chance to spam you. Others added were spam hosts, DDoS and BOT browsers (ie: 2 kinds; (a) browse you as soon as and every time you log onto the network, (b) browse you robotically every 10-15 minutes. One of these browsed me 5 times over 20 minutes. I was only sharing 500 files which is a fraction of my usual shares.)

Don't forget there is also an installer which caters for both BearShare 5.1 beta and other BearShares and choice of which hostiles to install.

If anybody wishes to volunteer their services for taking on the updating of the Hostiles, I would love to hear from you.
I do not know if there is another equivalent hosted elsewhere that is being updated. AW's old one had not been updated since June 2011 or earlier.

As it is, since the LW users do not seem that interested in their updates, I will probably be slowing down my updates for that package or stopping altogether since their 4 lists take considerable time to update. Not many download the updates. But their situation is different. They can ban hosts manually. Whereas BearShare has no other protection choice other than the Hostiles being loaded as it opens. So I do feel as though there is a demand for the BS Hostiles.

Received UDP OOB Hits Announcement for GUID: PSXHDKDY(edit) to proxy to Leaf in 7*.1**.*.*** ("BearShare Lite 5.2.0.1" WinXP 2904 msgs) from 188.142.66.5:27016, but the query is stopped. - I wonder what that means? Too much spam being transmitted by Mr. 188.142.66.5:27016 ?