View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2013
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Gnucleus has not been forgotten. Put together a nice highly effective connection fix that connects in a flash for both G1 & G2. But I will not be releasing it for a few more days. I am combining it with a blocklist to help stamp out those 'orrible ugly BOT spammers. I was seeing spammers I first saw in early March (quite a few actually from March), so I am still in the process of putting together an effective blocklist as an option in the connection installer. I will also re-do the settings for Gnucleus versions 1 and 2 for greater efficiency. I first started the blocklist in December last year and realised it was going to be very long-winded and take months to finish. So I took a break until now. It will be an on-going process for a while but will release a preliminary version soon. The new installer will include both Gnucleus V.1 + 2 install options instead of being separate installers. I certainly noticed the lack of connection to spammer clients after testing the combo connect & blocklist a multitude of times.

Yeah, no updates since March 2012, no wonder my Gnucleus v.1 & 2 were slowish to connect. Although I did do a minor December update for Gnucleus v.1. I tested Gnucleus out on Win 8. I will explain my findings later. Main finding is the Gnucleus program compatibility mode needs to be set to at least Win XP SP3 or settings are not saved and connection difficult. But SP2 might be better, not sure yet. This will also apply to Vista & Win 7 as I found settings were not saving completely in Win 7 almost 2 years ago. Also added a more extended search filter list for first time users. Anyway, this will be released within the next week or so. If the dates of the installers in the first post above are still Feb. 2012 then I have not yet updated the files. I will make sure I do both changes simultaneously.

An important note: if you are using or potentially thinking about using Gnucleus, then you should port forward your modem/router. Gnucleus does not have UPnP support or NAT traversal/port-mapping abilities. One option if your router has the ability is to set Gnucleus or its port as a Special App exception in the NAT rules of your router. This seems to work well. You would never become an Ultrapeer under normal circumstances otherwise and possibly struggle with connections.

If I am to do proper spammer/hostile host hunting then I may need to remove the Gnucleus blocklist to know if hosts are still using same ip's or not.

I really like the ability to split windows into their own space in Gnucleus. No other Gnutella app has that ability after all these years. Heck 1.8 had it as far back as 2002. BTW chat for Gnucleus is via IRC. I will update the installers for those that don't posses the links to the rooms. Even v.1.8 uses IRC for these rooms which are still used. Not as crowded as previously I'm sure, but you can always custom add your own rooms at your choosing if you know of others.