View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2015
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

The Gnutella Forums (GF) is still actively used as a reference site but there's minimal (almost rare) posting from users. For example, if I post a link to a program patch or a connection installer, it does not take long (a day or within days) before there's lots of downloads. I suspect people are a little shy about the GF & think it's somehow linked to LimeWire.org (LW) & the authorities which of course is not the case because it's independently owned & no information about GF members has ever been compromised. If it had, I'd have left the site a long time ago, and the other moderators feel exactly the same. Our privacy and the protection of the privacy of members is of the utmost importance to us.

7 to 8 years ago there might have been anywhere up to 20-odd new posts a day. Now it's lucky if there's one new post in a month or two.

As for Developer Discussion, well the GDF became even quieter several years ago. The old developers kept a low profile & still now, some are no longer committing to their program. GTK-Gnutella is an exception & came back out of the woods a few years ago but all their developer discussion is (& always has been) limited to their GTK SourceForge site.

Not sure how often any GTK devs pass through the GF, once in a blue moon I guess.

There just does not appear to be the interest in open source p2p projects like there was last decade in regards to offering some kind of input, testing or developing.

Active programs? GTK-Gnutella. WireShare (Bigjx is the only actual coder).
I've noticed a couple of LW4-clones silently get updated now & again though I've no idea what changes they are making because they still do not support DHT or TTL. I also never see them (LW4 clones) on GWeb sites. Their default gwc sites are long out of date.