Thread: The GDF!
View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2015
Valued Member

h4x5h17 is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne_bab View Post
The GDF went mostly silent after LW lost in court. gtk-gnutella kept moving forward, because the developer did not care about the legalities. Phex development (where I was involved) mostly stopped, since the legal risk was too great. LimeWire did everything right and still lost in court, so it was clear that the legal system is too corrupted to risk working on systems which aren’t firmly focussed on protecting constitutional rights (I moved to contributing to Freenet).

I’m still a moderator in the GDF, though, and I would love to see Gnutella flourish again. Though we never managed to stop commercial disruption completely (spammers throwing fake files in the network), I still see it as the best technical solution for distributed searching, and the download mesh provides the features of torrents without requiring single points of failure (torrent sites) or a global DHT.

Also current WebRTC technologies should even enable implementing Gnutella directly in the browser — with the connection times on the order of seconds, this would provide instant distributed search.
I'm not a fan of browser based sharing. It just creates one more point of depenency. An background daemon developed independent of any browser wouldn't be so bad. But we already have I2P and Freenet.

I'd like to see community like capacities in gnutella.

Sorta like IRC or DC++. However the communities are searchable over the main network if its creator(s) select the option. It would require some networking external to gnutella protocol (something like a DC hub for chat if desired).Access to multiple Gnut. networks and the globol all similtaneous. Options to or not to allow network shares globally. And finally hosting sites with gnut. exlucive access private or globally (searchable). And a pipe dream is adding secret identification addresses to every user wishing to contribute to a anonymizing router network. Private routing IDs could be created for private networks wishing to route only with their isolated network peers (even though it would be less effective).

I was thinking that gnut sites would use only html4 standards with no javascript or css. Cookies would be replaced with downloadable site specific plugins having switchable controls.

Images and Videos could be shared via network (on all three or a selection of).

A huge pipe dream!!!!

Tons of problems to work out.

My problem with Freenet and I2p is that the push is only for anon like networking.

Also I was thinging that being able to manage spam bots at a private network level would be easier than global management. Hostile IPs could then be passed on to the global filter.

Some content like cute cat videos would be popular based on peer sources. It would kinda be like the internet was meant to be. Too many Ideas!

Okay.... Commence telling me improbabilites

Last edited by h4x5h17; December 24th, 2015 at 06:08 AM.