View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2016
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale5000 View Post
... cable here in my country ... is in a permanent "firewalled state" (without pubblic IP, if you don't pay an additional fee; it is like a private LAN of cable users when you see it from external internet).
Cable to cable is unfirewalled, cable to normal internet is firewalled...
Thanks, I had no idea about this. I am presuming this is not universal with all cable companies. I appear to find a significant number of ultrapeers from countries worldwide that use cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4x5h17 View Post
… a port (usually 80 or 443) exposed on their IP.
I occasionally see ultrapeers with port 80 but this might be for a different reason. An example was one using Cabos but not using cable. I can verify a particular cable using host having used port 80 but they are using an app that can utilize forced ultrapeer mode. I've wondered if this is the case. (I'm against forced ultrapeer mode being available in apps except perhaps for testing. I talked bigjx into removing it from WireShare because it potentially damages the network if the host is firewalled.)

As for VPN, yeah no doubt people should do the research about each specific VPN. As a whole, USA might not be the best place to obtain one but that's purely IMHO from what I've read about each one's protection policies and potential for government or other interference.