View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2002
Shareaza Developer

Shareaza is flying high

Shareaza’s configurability is based on my philosophy that giving users as much control as possible is beneficial to everyone, and definitely the way to go on a “free” network like Gnutella.

The danger I see in “closed” systems such as FastTrack is that the parameters are determined by the organisation supporting it, and serve their goals rather than yours. For example, its not unusual for P2P clients to disrespect the user’s wishes in terms of the maximum number of uploads they are willing to serve, just to reduce the chances other users will get a busy signal. Making downloads more reliable is definitely a good cause, but that’s not the way to do it. Download queuing, source meshes, etc – those are much better solutions, and that’s the way the Gnutella network is innovating.

Yes, a malicious or perhaps selfish user could change Shareaza’s settings in a non-productive way if they so desire. But the great thing about Gnutella is that every node is autonomous, and performs an independent policing role. If someone sets Shareaza’s default TTL too high, the vast majority of good servents (including Shareaza) will drop it on the next hop. If you set a download retry delay too short, the host will disregard your requests. But by allowing users to change these types of settings, Shareaza lets everyone optimise their own performance – now, and in the future as the Gnutella network evolves. You’re not stuck with some settings that were forced on you “for your own good”.

I think on a free network like Gnutella it’s important to empower the people who are the network. Sure, some people might try to abuse this power, but that’s why servents take on a policing role too.