View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2002
Unregistered

Default File pass through, and no one paid any attention

For all of you who didn't pay any attention and poo poo'ed the idea of file pass through

"I'm publishing this in response to the closing of Audiogalaxy and the imminent closure of many net radio stations. This can't be closed. I never did like bullies.

Streamer is an internet radio program that allows anyone to broadcast streaming mp3 music, to an unlimited number of listeners, from an internet connection as humble as a 56k modem, and with the broadcasting pc being fairly untraceable.

It works by relaying the mp3 data stream from one listener to the next, forming a branching tree with the broadcasting pc at the base.
This is different to the normal method where all the listeners connect to a central server, and it means you don't need lots of server bandwidth. There is also no limit to the number of listeners, since each new one provides more relay bandwidth to the network.

It's also fairly untraceable because each streamer 'host' doesn't reveal any information about whether it is actually the transmitter or
not, or where it is getting it's signal from. And I plan to make it completely untraceable for broadcasters who wish.

This is a beta version, work in progress. There's no clever network optimisation yet, or stuff to handle when listeners leave without disconnecting other downstream listeners. You are likely to get disconnections for large audiences. It definitely works ok for half a dozen or so people though, all using 56k modems. Enough to play your tunes to your mates :-) "

http://www.chaotica.u**********/page/streamer.htm