View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2003
Distinguished Member

trap_jaw is flying high

Quote:
There have been other programs (Napster, Aimster) which worked well and, for the most part, smoothly. Why must the wheel be re-invented every couple of years? Surely to GAWD there is someway to truly "Maximize Success" without users requiring a computer programmer's degree.
No, there is not. It is not possible to maximize download success substantially with the current version of LimeWire except by sharing files. (60% of all users are downloading but not uploading. Do the math, with lot's of ADSL connections and modem connections it will simply not allow for more downloads to work).

Quote:
In the last couple of years, with LimeWire as the only option available for MACs, I have learned to detest the word 'requery'... which is even sadder when I realize it's not even a real word. But its effect is all too real. How hard can it be to make a file 'INVISIBLE' if it is unavailabe? Why let me spend 3 + hours of my life I will never get back only to lose the entire connection and with it, the file?
The file is available when you search for it, but if you try to download it, it will happen very often that the host sharing it is either busy or goes offline before you can download it. Or it is firewalled and a PUSH request failed. If you ever used Napster or OpenNap you would see lots of failed downloads, too. eDonkey for example can easily download 3 movies in 2 days but at times it won't manage a single mp3 in that amount of time. In Kazaa you can find a movie everytime you search for it but the download will never ever start. The problem with Gnutella is that it's simply overloaded (it has been overloaded ever since Morpheus joined the gnutella community a year ago). Messages simply get lost frequently. With lots of unresponsible gnutella developers and users this is about as good as it gets.