View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2003
Gnutella Jewel

topbanana is flying high
Default Assorted feature requests

Currently using LimeWire client 2.9.8 with no major problems, just a few niggles.

I've found that for hard-to-get files, I need to periodically repeat the searches done to initially find them to uncover more sources. Normally I just leave the searches 'open' and 'repeat search' perhaps once per day or when I notice a download has stalled. Useful UI improvements to assist this activity would be:

- A 'repeat all searches' menu item.
- A 'search for more sources' option when right-clicking in the downloads pane.

The second niggle I have is this; when not using the machine I'm happy for it to use a much upload bandwidth as it can. However, before doing any work myself I really need to restrict the 'upload bandwidth' to 75% or so. A simple UI method to toggle between user-defined 'machine in use' and 'machine idle' settings would be handy. Better still would be if the app could switch itself back to the idle state automatically, but I accept this could be more effort than its worth.

The only other feature I'd like is perhaps a step away from the prefered design philosophy; I'd like to be able to mark items in my local library as high or low priority. Most requests I see queued are for a small set of files. I'd like to be able to encourage the downloading of the less popular files - as it is they so rarely get a chance to propogate that they cannot establish a wide enough presence to become avialable. Not sure if boosting the propogation of 'rare' files would in general be a good or bad thing for the network, but I'd like to be able to do it for specific cases.

Good product, kudos to the developers.