View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2003
Devotee

rockkeys is flying high
Default Known working config for Solaris 8 X86

After running into segment faults using Limewire,
I did some careful testing, and located the problem on my system.

I installed Java 1.3.1.19 runtime, which is the version LimeWire says they support. I had been running 1.4.2, but I wanted to eliminate the Java version as the problem.

However, this did not solve the segfault. So I did some digging in the Sun bug reports, and found that a recent patch for the Motif libraries had been recalled due to bugs. I had that version on my system, from patch 108941-56. If you do not have this patch now, DO NOT INSTALL IT.

Patch 108941-54 has been reinstated, and will replace 108941-56 until the problem has been fixed. Or the library from 108941-49 is known to work with LimeWire, because I am using that version.

If you have installed 108941-56, you can either backout the patch, as long as you had the 'save' option enabled. That will revert to the previous version of the patch.

Or you can locate either 108941-49 or download 108941-54 from SUN, and use the libXm from those patches. I know the lib from 108941-49 works, because I am using that one.

The library in question is /usr/dt/lib/libXm.so.4. Apparently, only that library needs to be replaced to solve this problem, but I would recommend backing out the -56 version of the patch, and reinstalling the -54 version, so that your libraries are consistant between all the various libs contained in the patch.

Anyway, once I moved to version 1.3.1.19 of java, and fixed the library problem, the LimeWire beta ran fine, and I am testing it further to see what works and what doesn't, as part of the beta testing.

Hope this helps,
Rockkeys