View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2003
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the info and interesting hints--I've unchecked the Safari->Preferences->General-> "Open 'safe' files after downloading"

The new autostart feature worked, but now I've unchecked that too in the LW prefs. I'd expected it to be removed from System Preferences->Login Items when the LW pref was applied, but had to quit and reopen System Preferences to see it removed.

Glad to see the iTunes/LW player prefs now save correctly. I thought Roger also submitted more iTunes options (like sharing playlists so songs properly show in the Library).

I dl'ed your popout.zip Sam (will you port it to OSX to properly test your PBook? ) to my unshared dl folder, moved it to a shared Magnetmix folder, but how can I share it without interrupting uploads? I don't want to use the refresh button (>10k files being shared), so I usually wait for the next session. There was some talk of how to keep the Library updated: might something like the way the downloads.dat and .bak work be used to avoid interrupting uploads if the library needs updating? Perhaps the unshared dl folder could show in the Library, and files could be dragged and added to the appropriate shared folder from there?

Incomplete T-* files still show in LW searches. My son uses the same Shared folder whether using LW or Acq, but because Acq's Incomplete folder is a sub-folder, its contents show up when I search or browse his machine. I thought any folder named "Incomplete" wouldn't be shared, even when the parent (no pun) was shared.

A search for "limewire" returned 903 non-ethernet results in less than 5 seconds, most of them interesting but irrelevant.

A search for my reference file returned 273 results in two minutes, including 17 hits for the each of the contents of the bundled reader application package (probably being read as a folder by OS 9 servents?), and a bunch more seemingly unrelated .mp3's.

I guess the hope for being able to easily email my files to friends via a "Send Magnet Link" is unlikely soon. This would be an attractive Pro Option.

Well, once again this is too long. Hope some of the comments will be useful.

Cheers.

Last edited by stief; November 1st, 2003 at 06:16 AM.