View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2003
Latest svn User

jum is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by sberlin

I wasn't aware the Jens had added an installer to his disk image. When you say it refused to overwrite the running LimeWire, you're saying you had LimeWire running, and the copy of the 'LimeWire' folder from the disk image to the 'LimeWire' folder in /Applications was denied? Did anything particularly bad happen with the OSX-Installer LimeWire uses in the official release overwriting that directory?
I did not add an installler, and I will not add an installer in the future. I might not have expressed it clearly enough in the past, but the whole reason why I build my versions is to get rid of the installer besides getting to play with the cvs changes earlier. Simple drag and drop of the LimeWire.app should be enough in my humble opinion.

The reason why the overwrite happens with the installer version you did and not with my build is the way it is copied. The OS X installer does not check if the files are busy it is overwriting. The Finder does check this fact and refuses to overwrite a running application.

As far as I understand the guidelines for the OS X installer an installer script is supposed to quit the application if it is about to be overwritten. But then the company I did do OS X installer packages for did switch to their own installer as the OS X one was found to be lacking.