View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2004
LimeWire is International

verdyp is flying high

FreeDb or CDDB searches are only possible from a CD, or for a list of known track lengths on widely deployed CDs. These CDs are commercial by nature, and there's nearly nothing we can do with a collection of MP3s (which don't make a complete CD, and that may have been edited with droped frames or special effects).

The integration of CDDB or FreeDB is only good for CD-Ripper softwares, that create tagged MP3 (or AAC or OggVorbis or WAV or WMA) files from a CD. Once the MP3 is created, the CD is removed, the file is moved to a personnal library, and there's very little chance you'll be able to identify a collection of MP3s within CDDB or FreeDB.

I think that what could be useful however is a way to share and index playing lists, containing URNs that can also be retreived on Gnutella. Searching for CD titles or book titles in a free database of CDs would be a useful tool on Gnutella, and it could be easily made legal: you could search in collections of titles, get information about these items by downloading commented playing lists. Then the playing list could be used to buy CDs online (with compared prices!), or to buy each title individually from various online music sellers.

The bad thing about online music sellers is their limited catalog. You can't search them globally for now, and you can't compare prices. Many users (like me) use Gnutella mostly to search for related titles, without necessarily downloading files.

There are lots of things we could do in Gnutella that are still not used or unexplored. Gnutella should be able to evolve to a true search engine where users can freely contribute their links to relevant contents (unlike Google or AltaVista that sell their placements on search pages by reserving keywords).

Gnutella could as well replace the wellknown service "CiteSeer" for finding citations in books and articles with their references. CiteSeer has now lots of difficulties to manage the traffic, and is quite long. The variety of references found on some subject is slowly pooring, and their system has now problem to scale up. That's where I would love to see a "Gnutella CiteSeer" P2P search...

I'd like to see an interchangeable format for refenring various documents on the web, this format being indexable and searchable in _open_ P2P networks like Gnutella, where everybody can contribute...

I like the spririt of the GNU Encyclopedia which gets richer over time with many contributed articles and translations. An excellent alternative to commercial and expensive encyclopedias.

I like the spirit of the Logos.it online translation dictionnary. This system would evolve and would scale more gracefully if it was deployed on P2P networks, where users would contribute their glossaries and definitions...

There are lots of applications that would work better on the Internet if they evolved to a P2P model instead of central servers that have lots of difficulties to scale and expensive management. The economical model of these systems is very difficult to maintain, and these systems will either collapse or will evolve to paid subscriptions.