View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2004
LimeWire is International

verdyp is flying high

You say: please understand the problem(...)

I have understood the problem...

You continue: (...) before considering or rejecting potential solutions.

I have NOT rejected potential solutions. But keep us looking on real issues and what is wrong in what LimeWire does and why it does that. We won't break a code that has proven to be extremely stable across all Limewires and with most other servents, just because of a few old Bearshares or some Shareazas that send wrong SHA1 values.

The downloader code is constantly unders scrutiny in Limewire, and it is the one that is taking the longest test time and the most complex test suite for handling variious cases (including ensuring that we can cope with detecting many bugs and weirdness in other servents). The 10-bytes overhead is needed in order to detect such weirdness from some sources.

But please keep your calm. Correcting a bug which has not been reported to us before will take some days at least. Don't flame against Limewire: you admit that BearShare has its own bugs wiith which it must still cope with. It's really difficult to have to manage the case of possible bogous sources, simply because we have to imagine all possible errors or wrong assumptions that some others may have done in a code that we can't see ourself.

Limewire publishes its sources so it's easy for others to check what Limewire does. LimeWire on the opposite has no access to BearShare sources.

OK you signal a problem, but this is only a symptom, not a cure and not the cause. What LimeWire does with a source that it has detected (from query hits) as matching the size and hash for a searched file is not illogical. I certainly causes Limewire hammering some BearShares, but it was not detected before.

One final note: I am not a LimeWire employee. I contribute to LimeWire, and audit and test the code, and propose solutions. It's so easy to start a flame with offensive insults and send critics than trying to help to find solutions. Limewire is not Shareaza and has many internal and external developers working constantly to solve problems and improve the network performance, and contribute with innovative solutions: look at the most useful contributions that BearShare can also use now. Limewire has been very active in describing them, documenting them, discussing them with other developers on the GDF forum.

LimeWire has always considered bug reports carefully and planned them in the development agenda even before adding new features (there are lots of pending features that will come later because solving bugs comes first.)