|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|Chat - Open Topics - The Lounge A place to chat about anything as long as it abides by the forum rules.|
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Titles for forum members?
At present, there are default titles given to forum members.
These are Junior member, Member & Senior member. The title depends on the member's overall post tally.
We are considering bringing in a multiple title system. But we need suggestions on what titles to give to members. Does anybody have suggestions? Preferably list your suggestions in order of hierarchy.
But yes, you can also set user a defined title. But the default ones need to be more interesting than what they are at present. Perhaps follow a theme such as fantasy or p2p sharing, etc.
I would like to suggest that the "default titles given to forum members" should always be shown so that other members can have a better understanding of the experience of any given member. I also feel that would be more consistent. However, I like the idea of the custom user title system that is set up for the forums, so that should remain. Instead of the custom user title replacing the default title, though, I think the custom title should be placed underneath the default title so both can be seen, again for consistency and easier understanding.
I would suggest using a system similar to military titles. Doing a quick search on Wikipedia (see here: Military rank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), I found a list of common military ranks and have listed seven in order I feel might be appropriate:
Ensign > Admiral > Brigadier > Captain > Colonel > Commander > Lieutenant
I like the idea of seven (7) different titles due to various reasons I'm not sure I can explain. It's just the significance of the number seven (7) that I'm sure most would agree with me. But to describe a way to integrate this hierarchy into the forums, I would also include a title for new users: Rookie. This title would be similar to someone being called a recruit in the military. My suggestion for system with the titles would be the following (smilies included for relevance and amusement):
Rookie: new members with 0-999 posts
Ensign: 1000-1999 posts
Admiral: 2000-2999 posts
Brigadier: 3000-3999 posts
Captain: 4000-4999 posts
Colonel: 5000-5999 posts
Commander: 6000-6999 posts
Lieutenant: 7000+ posts
I'm not sure about the number of posts, but I figure increments of 1000 should be suitable. This is simply my recommendation.
"Live your life to its fullest potential."
I forgot to mention that I feel a third title should be used for those members who are designated as forum administrators. The forum rules mention "moderators" and I've been in contact with members who refer to "administrators." Titles such as these, which I'll refer to as "system titles," should be included next to the corresponding members on top of the "default titles" and "custom titles." I've seen much confusion in the forums about who to contact regarding administration decisions and I think this would help to resolve that issue.
"Live your life to its fullest potential."
Near the bottom of the forum Home page is a link to View Forum Leaders. This is normal for Forum Leaders to either be listed on the home page or linked from there if there's many of them.
Those of us with military experience would be quite confused by the order of ranking suggested above, as one doesn't find admirals and brigadiers (generals) in the same service, (they're equal rank), nor does one find admirals and colonels in the same service (army colonel = navy captain), and lieutenants are the lowest-ranking officers (equal to ensign).
I like the idea of including a ranking sytem in addition to whatever title is chosen by the user. That way we can see that user "LW Master" is actually a rookie with 4 posts. Incriments of 1,000? I'll probably never pass "rookie".
Other systems: apprentice, journeyman...
or plebe, bachelor, master, doctor, professor
or perhaps even cub, wolf, bear, lion, scout. (I must have had a thing for uniforms.)
Well, like I mentioned in the post, I did a quick search for those ranks. A new system is definitely welcome! lol As I side note, I chose the ranks from two different lists, as you mentioned: Army and Navy. Seeing as this is not a military forum, I did not see a reason to choose all from one or the other. In defense of my listing for lieutenant, I've always thought of such a position to be a high ranking official (obtained from knowledge while my father is both in the army and a police officer), however, I admit I could be completely wrong on that. Alas, the interval of 1000 was randomly chosen without knowlegde of how many posts an avid forum user would post. I saw someone with over 6000 posts and judged from that. Maybe an interval of 50 would be more fitting? Also, I found a thread that mentioned "Newbies" and so I thought I might change my suggestion of "Rookie" to that. In light of this new information, might I suggest the following:
Newbie: 0-49 posts
Ensign: 50-99 posts
Admiral: 100-199 posts
Brigadier: 200-299 posts
Captain: 300-399 posts
Colonel: 400-499 posts
Commander: 500-599 posts
Lieutenant: 600+ posts
And again, if anyone has a suggestion for a different order or even different title names, I welcome any and all.
Furthermore, I would like to mention that I like Blackhorse's idea for Cub Scout through Boy Scout ranks. I'm not sure about Cub Scout ranks but if I might suggest an order:
Scout > Tenderfoot > Second Class > First Class > Star > Life > Eagle
This hierarchy falls in with the idea of seven (7) titles I previously mentioned, as well. And this order I know because, unfortunately, I am "Life for Life" and am currently a Leader in my local Troop.
"Live your life to its fullest potential."
True, but they're only allowed to be leaders. . . . lol I didn't think about the gender issue, though, so now I might suggest using the military ranks if it's between those and the Boy Scout ranks. What say yee, other Gnutella forum members?
I'd also like to mention that I stand behind my three user title system because forum posts by a system administrator could still be confused as a post by a "regular member," for lack of a better term. That way the users won't have to click to the "Forum Leaders List" page to find out if they're talking to an administrator in the case it isn't mentioned.
"Live your life to its fullest potential."
Actually, some of the mods & admins prefer to be .. erm .. sort of anonymous. We prefer not to advertise our position on the forums. We are very modest in nature lol.
The job of admins & mods is to mod & admin. We prefer experienced members to help on the forums, & us fill in the gaps. But there's certain periods of time when we end up posting a lot also to help threads.
hmmm, the mil idea is decent, but the rankings there are off, im In the army now, and its not so much the switch betwee navy and army but the order listed.
here is another idea though
just an idea, mabey a few changes here and there.
and along with this system, the journeyman and master could be changed to be more gender specific If that was wanted.
Last edited by SurD; May 18th, 2009 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something