|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|Connection Problems Problems getting the LimeWire program connecting to the Gnutella network.
(not about connecting to files, that is a Download/Upload Problems section issue.) Please supply system details as described in the forum rules.
Start here Suggestions to help you get connected, * try here first *, then see below (click on 'this' blue link)
Did you FORGET something BEFORE you posted? If you post in this section you MUST provide these details: System details - help us to help you (click on 'this' blue link), else do not be surprised if your posting is ignored :)
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Hoping someone could point me in the right direction with my connection problem - in that it never connects.
Id point out that it used to work perfectly, then stopped.
Looked for the pref folder in AppData but does not exist (I have turned on the view hidden folder icon, I may have deleted this in the past because I have tried to fix before and have just come back to it)
Deleted and then re-added firewall exception rule in my firewall/antivirus software (Bit Defender, can be a bit of a bee-atch, so also turned off firewall completely and run limewire then to no avail).
Disabled ultrapeer DHT and TLS capabilites in the advanced prefs
Zyxel router on Home Network
300 Gig plus free HD space
Any thoughts anyone. Im not a techie but Im good at reading and applying simple steps!
Reinstall Java 1.6, download the safer 'Offline' Java Installer For Windows: Java Downloads for All Operating Systems. This is highly important for Windows 7:
Right-click the Java installer and choose Run as Administrator. You can also do the same with the LW shortcut on desktop after installing Java. Keep that Java installer for now.
See if LW connects. Give it some time.
If LW does not connect, close, and run the Connection Fix program.
Just for your information, LW will not run with the Java 1.7 version presently available. Maybe a later release will work with it, once they sort out the java 1.7 bugs.
How long ago did LW connect properly for you?
I forgot to ask, which version of LW are you using?
I forgot to mention, its the pirate edition 5.6.2.
I do also remember running the connection fix prog on my first fixing attempt.
I have uninstalled/re-installed java as an administrator (that I felt quite confident would acts as a fix as I know it seems updates on a reg basis) but this has not resolved (and opened LW as an administrator too)
Im not sure when it stopped exactly as Ive used UTorrent to download files since the issue so cannot date when this occured. But its prob about 2 months.
Any more ideas LOTR?
Totally clean installation of LPE.
You will have a preferences folder now at least. But you need to turn on Show Hidden Files & Folders before you can search for it. Either with search or manually finding it.
LimeWire and Java Reinstallation Technique l
Another option to try is to download & install FrostWire & see if it runs & connects ok. If yes, then close it, open LW.
One problem with LW 5 is, if it has not been used for a certain period of time, it is programmed to delete the connection file itself. I think File_Girl produced a fix for that. I think that was a separate program utility installer fix.
Edit: Oops my first link didn't work. Fixed. Sorry about that.
Not sure if the `period of time' issue would be the prob as although 2 months since I tried to fix was a much shorter period between using successfully and then not being able to connect.
Fired up Frostwire that I had installed already and thats working fine. Are they connected? Should I delete that FW roaming profile too?
Can you repost the link for re-installation as the one above is broken?
No, not if you wish to keep it. You can shift the gnutella.net file from inside of the FrostWire preferences folder into the LimeWire preferences folder & replace. See if that helps LW to connect.
And yes, sorry, I did repost the link 10 mins ago or so. I realised the link was broken, was missing an L from the .html address.
If LW 5 Will Not Connect
If you're using Windows, you can also go Start > Run > type in %appdata% & click the 'ok' button. A list of folders should show & LimeWire's preferences folder is the folder named LimeWire. And FrostWire's prefs will be named FrostWire.
If you're looking to swap files between FrostWire's prefs & LimeWire's prefs folders, remember that both apps need to be properly closed before you do this (see below).
Important: If you're going to delete the prefs folder or move files into or out of the preferences folder, LW/FW must be properly closed first (otherwise you won't see any effect). Check in Task Manager to see whether there's a LW or FW process running - if there is, end the process. Then delete or move files within the prefs folder