|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|Download/Upload Problems Problems with downloading or uploading files through the Gnutella network. |
* Please specify whether the file problem is a Gnutella network shared file OR a Torrent file. *
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
it's taking forever to get a song!
I'm so disappointed, I have had 4-5 songs trying to download for DAYS! It says the connection is excellent so I don't understand what the problem is...does anyone know what the prob. is? It looks like everyone has problems of some kind... thanks
There can be a number of reasons.
1. Limewire is extremely slow and inefficient - try xNap and Poisoned if you are on OSX, they work much better for MP3s
2. You are dependent on the other person(s) in the peer to peer connection to keep sharing and to not change the name of the files you were downloading. People are unfortunately not good at being cooperative. It helps if you keep your connection up and sharing continuously and for as long as possible to give others a chance to comp-lete their downloads. Files tend to have dumb and sometimes wrong names so people change the name. As far as LimeWire is concerned the file has now disappeared and there is a new file to download.
3. Are you sharing as many files as possible? If you are not, then the peer's LimeWire freeloader settings may be set to filter you out.
4. Check your connection quality. Down the bottom left corner is a mini bar graph showing how well the connection is going. It fluctuates constantly.
5. I find LimeWire to be extremely stupid. It needs to be nudged all the time to renew downloads. Right mouse click on the search bar tab and keep re-searching your parameter.
To sum up: Poisoned particularly gives a much faster and reliable download. XNap takes a bit more setting up but also spans several different nets and hits many more target peers.
A simple suggestion for you is to post in the General Forums if you wish to introduce/push a client which does not currently have a specific forum here.
Last edited by ursula; February 20th, 2004 at 10:55 AM.
This is the reason songs downloads might be slow... people don't understand tools and are in a univers of wrong network settings
Fine line of nonsense!
I run LimeWire and Poisoned concurrently on the same machine and network. Same Firewall and Router. In the same "Parallel Universe" the one where it is not necessary to adjust arcane technical settings to start the car and get out of the driveway.
If (and I have not seen any reference to it anywhere) LimeWire has a handbrake (left on at purchase) in the locked glovebox I wouldn't go blaming the user. Although I understand how this may bring a sense of personal superiority to your otherwise undistinguished life.
You could enlighten those long suffering users in this Forum and explain how to turn their Nissans into Ferraris. Somehow I have the feeling that you are not that interested in sharing anything other than vague nonspecific suggestions that it works better for you.
A simple suggestion for you is to post in the General Forums if you wish to introduce/push a client which does not currently have a specific forum here.
Last edited by ursula; February 20th, 2004 at 10:53 AM.
There is nothing religious about this. I have no particular interest in the means to which the end is derived.
I have always had trouble understanding the partisan tribal fealty that everyone must swear to their s'ware/h'ware choices. An instance of "my software right or wrong" ?-) Any deficiencies are fiecely denied until enough time has passed to safely acknowledge "past problems".
I struggled with many different versions of LW for a very long time on several different machines with different connections and different ISPs.
If there are concrete achievable adjustments capable of being implemented by myself or any of the others not getting good results from LW, I am very pleased to hear them.
I am simply passing on advice that was passed onto me and worked. In the end that is what counts.
btw In the short time that we have spent on discussing this I have DLed 40 or so files (with the software that has no name) whilst LW has struggled with the few files I have tried to complete all this week.
I am pleased to say 2 have finally finished.
Judging by this forum I am not alone in this experience.
You know, people dl software, then they come here only when it doesn't work. For exemple LW has more than 300 000 dls/per week for multiple platforms, yet only a small fraction come here to complain even if for 90% of the people it works. This is what should be improve here at gnutellaforums and particularly in the lw forums, the community spirit. Many P2P forums such as Poisoned have much better karma around the forums. Only complaining is quite depressing and folks should be more community driven. I don't know if it is because of this site's colors or anything but I'd love to see more positive peers ratio
Score at the end of the first quarter is 1 - 1
Sort of agree with you on that one.
(Ooops ! More religious stuff ?)
There ARE correct and incorrect settings - Adjustments - Some are truly 'black or white', meaning right or wrong - Some are in 'grey areas', dependent on 'equipment'.
The problem with most of the p2p clients is that the necessary accompanying documentation is either inadequate, out of date or non-existent.
Developers develop ! Amazing that, hmmm ? They normally make totally lousy user's-manual writers. They are also normally occupied with 'improvements'.
Not bad, huh ? I twice managed to use a word derived from 'normal' while discussing developers !
Moderators here see ALL the posts hoping for help and/or advice. We move many posts to more suitable forums... We sometimes post 'links' to other posts... Sometimes, if we have enough knowledge or experience on the particular problem topic, we reply with concrete achievable adjustments.
But, that's not really a Moderator's job. Members helping members is the idea here. These forums are a community of people interested and participating in p2p using the Gnutella Network... That's a hint to you, btw.... It is a community where there are many very nice and helpful people helping and guiding others. (Some may be a little outrageous in venting their frustrations after answering the same question for the 1,000th time, but that usually doesn't last long.) What members here do NOT normally do is join and then, in 8 out of 9 of their first posts, go into one client-specific forum and not only slag off that client but urge others to quit the client and move on to the Elysian fields, free for the asking, in another client.
(Can you imagine how many times a moderator is tempted to make such 'suggestions' when dealing with posts about a client with which some are having troubles ? But, we do not. Nor do the vast majority of members here in Gnutella Forums.)
What you have been doing is a somewhat subtle form of SPAMMING.
See last line above.
But, there are ways and then there are ways, huh ?
Some of your comments in your other posts here suggest that you are not quite as switched on to this here p2p thingie as you may believe. Have fun here... Share, learn, amuse, outrage... Whatever !
But, cool it with the SPAMMING.
Ya'all have a nice day now, hear ?!?!
p.s. May be a good idea for you to have a wee look at a dictionary... the sum of the words concrete achievable adjustments do not normally equal change your p2p client.
Fusion for REAL!--CDex 1.51--Wackyuses--Bitzi - Check Files Before Download !--.mp3 File Name Change Problems? Try Rename-It!--Alternate PORTS--Avast- Anti-Virus--WindowWasher--IrfanView--PC Pitstop - Test your PC !--Mac OSX Troubleshooting--GO .ape ! - For 'Lossless' Audio Compression--Port :6346 - Test If It Is 'Blocked'--Cole2k Codecs--OldVersion - Newer isn't always better !
Nod32 - Free Virus Scan: Use ESET's Online Antivirus Scanner
Sunni in places, Shi'ite in others...
I apologise for my blunt undiplomatic language s;-(
I'm not here to argue or get on your bad side.
As is obvious from my postings my experience is dramatically different from yours and I must admit puzzlement as to why we have 2 such different experiences.
Principally I guess is that I am on the Mac, but as I have said I have tried it over a long period of time in OS9, several versions of OSX, different machines, different ISPs, 2 different modems, and on VDSL broadband with 2 different ISPs. I have not used it on my PC as I leave it isolated from outside networks (& Virii), but I am willing to experiment.
Sorry to say my experience is common to all variables above. As I have said comparing the 2 software in question is like night and day.
A large part (drawing on my long experience with IT) is what one user believes to be acceptable usability and performance. We use the same words but they mean different things to us. I am a Mac user because I believe developers should be responsible for the usability of products that only they can know intimately. Others take pride in overcoming the obstacles thrown up in their path by miss (or non) information, poor design and faults in its implementation.
Not to dispute what you say but I am reminded of the old joke about a man observing a large Excavator: "That machine is putting a 100 men with shovels out of work". Whereupon an observer says "and a thousand with spoons".
The point is they all dig the same hole.
I know. I have used the LimeWire spoon and am upgrading to the Poisoned shovel. I look forward to "xCavator" when and wherever I might find it, and I won't be attached then to anything I previously used.
PS I have been over to the General forums and note that the recommendation is to post on specific applications back here in the specific forums. My comments were on LimeWire so here it is. I understand LW is your baby and so you may not appreciate unfavorable comparison.
Correct me where I am wrong and I'll take it square on the chin.
Was it good ?
Show me the guy that said that !!! Just show me, huh !!!!!!!!!!
errr... Now, this is just between you and me, right ?... But, I haven't used LW since version [Edit].
But, I should not discuss that here in Gnutella Forums... Tain't right, ya see... I use [Edit] and [Edit] and [Edit] and have excellent results. I've taken to sharing eBooks, 1.6GB of them, and moving so many smallish files is most illuminating as far as observing p2p client behaviour...
And human behaviour... Like noting how many people D/L my Engineering stuff AND Cookbooks... At the same time... Hmmm ???
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Downloads taking forever||Phillip||Download/Upload Problems||3||December 14th, 2006 02:42 PM|
|Help!! Load taking forever||ferguson||Open Discussion topics||3||December 22nd, 2005 08:25 AM|
|downloads taking forever!||hongkongsteve||Download/Upload||1||March 10th, 2005 01:50 AM|
|Fast Download Taking Forever||Dornep||Download/Upload||1||March 8th, 2005 06:54 PM|
|searching is taking forever||Unregistered||Mactella (Macintosh)||0||March 2nd, 2002 03:40 PM|