|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|General Discussion For anything which doesn't fit somewhere else (for PHEX users)|
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en espaņol, . Aide en franįais . et . LimeWire en franįais, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was new when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Donīt use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Itīs coming ... a new client based on Furi
I finally did it. I entered the Furi-source and stripped it off thos chat-panels and classes. Now i got a new client running. I also chaged the packet-structure and therefor parts of the code.
My problem here is this: William W. Wong (the developer of Furi) doesnīt want help writing Furi and there has been no update for over a year. I surely will modify the source quite a lot and I donīt think it is reasonable to still call it "Furi" afterwards (in case Wong comes up with a new version weīd have quite a conflict here).
Does anybody know how the GNU GPL copes with such a situation. Iīd like to release a whole new client under a diferent name which would only be "based on Furi", but I donīt want to get into a conflict with Wong or the GNU Foundation.
Any advice is welcome. I will not release my client until I get this thing straight.
I dreamed of doing the same thing, because I belive FURI has the best underlying structure with the file search/candidate stuff. Of course I'm only beginning to understand the furi classes and so forth (i'm a graphics guy mostly), but the same thing occured to me.
I'd say this (just my opinion), if William doesn't answer any emails, which he doesn't appear to do, then just let him know what your doing, that your not making a profit from it, therefore no royalties are due to William. Then in your readme.txt give props to William for and say your client is based on the FURI client's codebase. Nuff said.
In asp/webstuff which is what i'm familiar with, the general rule is that if you modify/update or otherwise change source code by 20 - 25% (I can't remember which) its effectily yours (in the event that you have to prove it).
Maybe the GNU applies in a similar fashion. Personlly I've been composing a lengthy email of bugs and wishes for the next release. To hear you say he hasn't released an update to his client in over a year is disheartening given the amount of work I've already put into it.
Thus, I would LOVE to see you release a version of the FURI codebase, minus some of the cludgy stuff that slows it down and or doesn't work well.
I'd rather send you the email of bugs/wishes and have those considered for your relase. I'd even love to help with any of the graphics, buttons, or interface design!
Let me know if your interested in either my email that was to be send to william, my assistance, or both!
I would be very eger to bata your Client. I was a hardware tech for 20 years. and have no fear of crashing things to find whats going on. I am also running a Mac which may be more interesting. Feel free to e-mail me or post in this form. I'll be watching and routing for u.
Walt, aka: lightstone
I already decided on what I will do:
I will publish my new client under the GNU GPL (which should be good enough for the GNU Foundation), give Credit to William W. Wong (which will really point out what important role he played in the development) and make the whole project a new client.
I am already changing the source quite a lot and it will be quite different from Furi once I have finished. What I really need is some more time. I will release the first source once I have ordered all the new packages and stripped the source of all unnecessary stuff. I will also include a small developers-doc which will explain what is to be done to compile the source.
But this will take at least a week, perhaps two.
I am making further progress each day, but it is really is hard work and will still take some time until I have something to release.
I will let erverybody know through this forum when I see light at the end of the tunnel.
I'm more than willing to contribute!
To everybody who wants to contribute:
Once I have finished restructuring the packages, I will release a developers edition on my website. It will be password-protected and I will only give the pass to a few people who really want to take part in the development process. I will also make up a development guideline so that we can work in an organized fashion and make the new client clean and stable.
If you want to contribute you can contact me via a new e-mail-address i will soon set up and post here.
At the moment I am expecting to have the work done by the coming weekend, but it might as well take some more days.
Until then, there is not too much news to post here.
I am really looking forward to work with you all and I can hardly await the first release of the new client. I am already testing it under itīs new name and you might stumble upon it when connected to the gnetwork.
Since no one seems to have replied to your GNU licence question : the GNU licence is designed to permit and encourage exactly what you are doing. You are under no obligation to advise the person whose work you are adapting; the only obligation you are under is to make the source code available along with the program. Obviously, it is polite to inform the person who wrote the original, and of course, the original remains his copyright, though the new parts are your copyright. You must mention all the copyrights along the way - e.g., if someone takes your work and adapts it, he would need to mention the copyrights of both yourself and William.
That's the essence of it.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Server-based multi-user file-sharing client||fry76||General Gnutella / Gnutella Network Discussion||3||November 18th, 2004 12:20 PM|
|Gnougat, a jxta based file sharing client||RusselHarvey||General Gnutella Development Discussion||0||August 22nd, 2002 05:08 PM|
|Linux based AUTOMATIC gnutella client, RFC||taer||General Gnutella / Gnutella Network Discussion||0||March 22nd, 2002 02:59 PM|
|where did the name "furi" come from?||furiXX||General Discussion||0||May 8th, 2001 04:50 PM|
|Furi||Iduggit1st||General Discussion||1||March 4th, 2001 10:22 AM|