|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|General Mac Support For general questions about issues for Mac users, generally referring to Mac OS 9 and earlier but may also include Mac OSX users|
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
I previously had this problem in OS8.5; many but not all files would not have their correct icon. I answered a similar issue a while ago. I hope the suggestions I made are helpful to you. View this: cannot open anything
music as "documents"
I have this problem now too, I think. It is stored as a document then says when I try to open it I have to select an alternate program such as "movie player with quick time translation". I can then play the song but I doubt I could burn it ? Strange thing it just started happening now, though I have been using Limewire for months.
Also can't launch samples I've downloaded. I have an Ibook G3 with OS 9.1
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
LW needs Java to run. Java & the Gnutella netwk are both advancing in capabilites whilst Mac users in OS9/8 are stuck with a static version of Java. I've seen many Java related problems on this forum. At least make sure you have the latest version of Java. And even better, update your OS to 9.2.2 so you can have the last Java version available for OS9.
MRJ 2.2.5 for OS 8.1-9.2 http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75097
MRJ 2.2.6 for OS 9.2.2 http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120209
Did you know G3's can run OSX?
I think you'll find you probably can burn it. Do you have Toast? Toast will help you to burn cd's as will iTunes. Do you have an mp3 player. Audion, iTunes, QDesign MVP, SoundJamâ„¢ MP, Cabrio & MP3 Rage are mp3 players worth looking into. Drag & drop the file into one of these players & they should play. Also follow the previous link & take advice such as to rebuild your desktop.
I am having the same problem
Everything that I dl from LW is a LW document
I am running a G3 iMac withOS 8.6
Quick Time does not even recognise that the files exist so I cant open them or convert them with QT
what can I do?
This is an endemic problem with OS 9 & earlier. I had this problem with OS 8.5 on a G3. See: Limewire (MAC 9.1) all downloads are in document format. cant open??
There's a few solutions: one is to use the File Exchange control panel, another is to use a file utility to correct the files' identities, another is to make sure the file name is legal within OS 8/9. Using QuickTime as your principle player is not a good idea! QT has limited abilities with mp3's. If it's mp3's u want to play, get a dedicated mp3 player. I would highly recommend Audion 2.6.2 for os 8.6. It has codecs that even iTunes doesn't have. mp3 Rage is another good one.
The quick temp solution to your problem is to drag & drop the file onto the appropriate app that would normally open it. Just make sure it's compatible. (QT cannot play all movies.) Check your QT Prefs & make sure you have all your Plug-in & MIME settings ticked for the widest possible compatibility. See playing video with avi on mac for how to do this.
Last edited by Lord of the Rings; August 23rd, 2004 at 11:40 PM.
It's getting ridiculous
This downloading "LimeWire Documents" is getting out of hand.
I've tried all the above remedies but no dice.
I'm wastin' a lot of time here. There has to be a solution.
My latest: I've downloaded a 43.9 mb program, and it won't open for love or money. Stuffit sez it's not compressed. Disk Copy sez no image. File Exchange is no help.
Any new ideas since last post? Help!
Mac G3/233, OS 9.2.2, latest MRJ, clean system install, Norton, rebuilt desktop, zapped PRAM.
Is the name of the file xtra long? "Os 9 doesn't support file with names of more than 32 characters so it cuts the part with the extension." If that's the case then you can shorten the name & add the extension.
You posted about this issue last year. I believe the problem is an issue with the version of Java you're using but unfortunately you cannot update the java you're using.
If this is a major issue for you then I would recommend getting Mac Army Knife. Open the File Attribute editor & drop the file into it. Then change the file creator details. Try it out on a healthy file to find out what the details should be. Here's an example: Using Mac Army Knife with blank documents
Other than this, check out the following links: 1. No. 1 , 2. No. 2 , 3. No. 3
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|How do I open blank "limewire document" for Mac OS 8-9 users||Lord of the Rings||General Mac Support||1||August 16th, 2006 09:58 AM|
|Limewire (MAC 9.1) all downloads are in document format. cant open??||jamazon||Mac||6||August 14th, 2004 10:47 AM|
|mwv video file becomes "Limewire document" on Mac||Mystery M||Open Discussion topics||2||November 28th, 2003 10:26 AM|
|Downloads show as "Limewire document"||Skyrat||General Mac Support||0||October 27th, 2002 09:21 PM|
|"LimeWire document" won't open||Unregistered||General Mac Support||2||May 19th, 2002 10:30 AM|