|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|General Windows Support For questions about Windows issues regarding LimeWire or related questions|
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
files from limewire converted into zip files
i'm just new here and i never had a problem with limewire until today...all my downloaded files especially the audio files was converted into .exe or zip files...i tried to unzip a few files and gave me an icon which is labelled setup,but are not working...with the rest, a pop up message was shown say that the file is corrupted.
i have been trying to figure this out the whole day and am really getting frustrated!
why would the files be changed int an .exe file? and it all shows the same file size.
i've already tried scanning my my whole system for virus and adware or spyware but the does not detect anything.
is there still a way to fix the files which i collected for more than a year now?
there must be a way to solve this problem and salvage all my downloads.
please help me!
From what ive been reading this is a worm/trojan, Havent got a name for it yet But working on that. Looks like its targeting the defalt L/Wshared so as a
tempary fix try making a new share folder on another drive with a diffrent name then point L/W to it.
I beileve it is coppying the names of files, then deleting original files, then
puting user file names on newly created virus files So trying to open them may be a no no.
Has anyone tryed to copy them to desktop in a new folder and scan them.?
Has anyone looked in the bin or done a file recovery.?
Can you people who have this problem Give us some feedback on whats happning exactly.
What did you D/L just befor it started ?
I dont have this problem So Im in the dark.
Looks like many of limewire's zip file are infected with a (goabot worm) I tried to download about 5 different files today limewire caught 1 out of those 5 file infected with a virus my antivirus picked out 4 that Limewire allowed me to down load and failed to identify as corrupt files. Every file that I tried to download was infected, unless limewire does something about this it will become a ghost town on here
What Limewire really needs is if your system happens to be able to identify a virus you should be able to flag the program so that others won't down load it. I am thankful I have an excellent internet security that updates it's definitions sometime 4 to 5 times daily sometimes more because if I would have that Norton junk I would of been dead after the first one.
Norton couldn't catch a cold if it's life depended on it, I am willing to bet the people whop have been infected all had Norton, word of warning don't download anything if you use Norton unless that is you want to risk losing everything everything
So what is a smallrage man ?
So what is the exact file size of those L/W missed,? and there are warnings
everywhere DONT D/L EXE files, (There just for testing AV programs) Yea man
We all keep shouting about it, But they must like Viruses
If mp3s are turning into exe files and then turning the rest of your shared folder into the same, you would think that the original infected file would be to small to be an actual song...
I think it comes down to not downloading anything that is under 1000kbs no matter what file extension it has...Also always scan each and every file before playing them....
If you dont live for something...
You die for nothing...
Oh! no not my shared folder.Prevention is betta than cure.
Pranaams, Wondering why.
I would go even further n say 2000kbs, What real song is less than two min's
unless they are a crap bit-rate, n whats the use of a track that sounds like its
being played from a transistor radio under water
MP3 files cannot be converted to .EXE its not possible, They are being Deleted, Then replaced with (Who knows what) with an .EXE extension
It may be a zip/rar file with multiple files inside, e.g. worm,trojan & virus
I believe its a new threat, not an existing one & a bad one at that.
My addvice move your shared folder n rename it, till a threat signture can be put on it, and backup shared folder to exturnal drive. if thats not an option
then back it up to a password zip folder.
On last count I had 21,500 files & all are very dear to me. I would Die if I lost
Hi all Just found this. Dont know if its relevant.
The Kazaa file-swapping network has been hit by another worm, just months after the first such attack, according to antivirus vendors.
Antivirus company Sophos said it had received several reports of the KWBot worm in the wild. KWBot appears to be the second worm to hit the Kazaa network, which fell prey to the Benjamin worm in May.
KWBot spreads in a similar way to Benjamin in that it alters Windows registry keys and then disguises itself as files that are likely to prove popular with file-swappers. It makes particular use of the names of movies and applications. When first executed, the worm copies itself to the Windows system folder as xplorer32.exe, said Sophos. It will then create two registry entries so that the copy is run each time Windows is started.
The worm may also allow attackers to gain control of an infected computer using commands transmitted over Internet Relay Chat, said Sophos.
Kazaa is not the only file-swapping network to have been targeted by virus writers. The Gnutella file-swapping network was hit by a proof-of-concept worm in February.
There have also been threats from other quarters. In April, a bug was found in the popular Winamp software for playing digital music files. The bug could allow an attacker to embed malicious code into an MP3 file, potentially damaging the user's PC and infecting other MP3s.
In addition, the music industry recently began planting "decoys" on free peer-to-peer services in its fight against online piracy, according to sources. This practice, known as "spoofing," entails the hiring of companies to distribute "decoy" files that are empty or do not work in order to frustrate would-be downloaders of movies and music.
Overpeer, a New York-based software firm funded by South Korea's SK Group, is understood to be one of the firms helping the industry disguise online files to thwart unauthorized swapping.
Examples of filenames used by the KWBot worm are:
Star Wars Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones VCD CD1.exe
Spiderman The Movie - The Game.exe
Grand Theft Auto 3 CD1 ISO.exe
ZoneAlarm Firewall Pro.exe
Windows XP Professional iso.exe
Unreal Tournament cracked (works on all servers).exe
University Study Guide (cheat sheet).exe
Quicken Pro 2002 iso.exe
Perl Ultimate Study Guide.exe
Office XP Corporate Ed. iso.exe
Norton Utilities 2002.exe
Microsoft Visual C++ 7.0 iso.exe
MCSE Ultimate Study Guide.exe
Max Payne full iso.exe
Macromedia Flash 5.exe
Kazaa Advertisement Ad remover.exe
DivX Codec 6.0 beta (codec only).exe
Credit Card number generator VERIFIER (cc cc#).exe
cows gone wild.exe
100 XXX Passwords (verified 3-24-02).exe
Sophos has a virus identity file that includes a fix for the KWBot virus here.
Last edited by mickjapa108; February 16th, 2007 at 08:00 AM.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|download avi cannot be converted||Lowey||Open Discussion topics||2||February 13th, 2006 03:04 AM|
|converted wma files show up in limewire not i tunes||jillw||General Mac OSX Support||1||January 5th, 2006 01:01 PM|
|Adding Files/ Folder from LimeWire Pro to iTunes without duplicating files. HELP!!||rgagama||Tips & Tricks||0||January 26th, 2005 06:37 AM|
|all downloaded files are limewire type files, unplayable||Luna_Tick||Download/Upload Problems||1||February 19th, 2004 10:51 PM|
|mp3s need to be converted now before i burn||NeetFreek||General Mac Support||6||August 5th, 2003 11:15 AM|