Gnutella Forums

Gnutella Forums (http://www.gnutellaforums.com/)
-   Host Connections (http://www.gnutellaforums.com/host-connections/)
-   -   Bearshare 5.2.5 can't connect (http://www.gnutellaforums.com/host-connections/91901-bearshare-5-2-5-cant-connect.html)

catellis April 27th, 2009 07:43 PM

Bearshare 5.2.5 can't connect
 
I have been using Bearshare 5.2.5 for years. Never had any problems until now. Suddenly it says "not connected to gnutella network" when I try to search for music. The 4 lights at the top right hand corner,well, the first one is flashing red and say not connected. The last one says not connected. However, sometimes I can get it to work. If i just keep trying over and over, day after day, it finally just starts working fine. Why do you think it's doing this?
I have Windows XP, I have Hughesnet satellite internet, 2 computers (one is laptop), linksys router wrt110.

PS. Sometimes the first light is yellow and says "Mode: Leaf"
And the last light yellow and says "TCP firewalled and UDP firewalled". What does this mean?

AaronWalkhouse April 27th, 2009 08:38 PM

It thinks it is firewalled because it couldn't find any other nodes to run the usual test.

Here's a fresh list of nodes to connect to. Shut your Bear down and unzip it to
C:\Program Files\BearShare\db, then start back up.

If it still has troubles get the beta in this thread and use the controls in Options/Service
to kick it into ultrapeer mode.
http://www3.telus.net/Aaron_Walkhous...ce.UP.Mode.PNG

jhdemps May 1st, 2009 03:44 PM

Hello,
I never had trouble before. When I click on to search nothing happens. I clicked on to file to connect and still nothing. I have an old version 4.16. I also have windows 98. Any suggestions?
I did think of uninstalling and then install lime wire again.
Any info would be great.

Thanks
Jhdemps

Peerless May 1st, 2009 04:19 PM

lime wire...hmmmm...sounds vaguely familiar...you sure you didn't mean LameWire???

http://www.gnutellaforums.com/images/bearshare.png

jeremym1978 May 4th, 2009 03:59 PM

you mean bearshare is dead? wmg, sad day indeed. No where will I go for the stuff I want? :(

Peerless May 4th, 2009 04:19 PM

?

worked the last time I used it, which was a couple of days ago...

jeremym1978 May 4th, 2009 06:56 PM

ah, nevermind. I was having the connection problem but I used the updated nodes list and it's working now. Thought I was gonna have to learn to use torrents to figure out how to get my porn fix :P

rjdmenace May 6th, 2009 12:22 PM

Thanks a lot aaron! the new nodes worked fine :idea: ... i thought il be takin out bslite permanently...

SakePL May 17th, 2009 02:35 PM

Hey Guys.... i had they same problem. your advise was very helpful. Thx a lot. I thought i gonna stop dling the music.

mageeda May 22nd, 2009 12:49 PM

HI - I think I am having the same problem. I have been using Bearshare 5.1 for years.. I just reformetted my computer. found 5.1 again, installed it and it wont connect. is there a way to get it working again??? the red light just keeps flashing and it wont connect. i want this working again.. the new bearshare sucks!!! please help!!

Peerless May 22nd, 2009 01:11 PM

why don't you take the time to read this whole thread, and follow the directions?

mageeda May 22nd, 2009 01:30 PM

So you are saying 5.1 should still work?
if you say it should work i will take out 7.0 and try 5.1 again..
are you saying i just do forced ultrapeer?

SakePL May 22nd, 2009 02:00 PM

Yes.... just read carefully and download those files. Unzip to DB folder and start ur old bearshare :) wait few sec

Peerless May 22nd, 2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mageeda (Post 343581)
So you are saying 5.1 should still work?
if you say it should work i will take out 7.0 and try 5.1 again..
are you saying i just do forced ultrapeer?

the forced UP mode is only available in the beta version AFAIK...so if you're not using that, then use it....the thread it is available in is linked to in AW's post above...

_Mannequin_ May 22nd, 2009 06:11 PM

Seriously this program is dying fast.

AaronWalkhouse May 22nd, 2009 06:29 PM

Not from where I'm sitting. It is still the best one for getting the most out of gnutella, if
your computer can handle it, because it does a lot that others cannot.

Peerless May 22nd, 2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Mannequin_ (Post 343592)
Seriously this program is dying fast.

hey d00d....how'd you like to see what a certain 'member's area' looks/feels like?

its just a couple of mouse clicks away.....:rofl:

SakePL May 23rd, 2009 01:06 AM

lol.....

mageeda May 25th, 2009 07:08 PM

Hey guys... what does it mean on 5.1 if i get flashing yellow light for the hosts instead of the solid green i used to get????? will yellow be ok? how do i get the green back??

thanks

AaronWalkhouse May 25th, 2009 08:55 PM

Enable the Hosts view (in the view menu) and if you see a
lot of hosts, that's a good thing, not a bad one.

msuh08 May 26th, 2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronWalkhouse (Post 343869)
Enable the Hosts view (in the view menu) and if you see a
lot of hosts, that's a good thing, not a bad one.

What if i have a red light for the first one and the rest are green??

Lord of the Rings May 26th, 2009 10:59 AM

First means disconnected. Change connection cache, make sure BS is cleared with appropriate ports in your windows firewall (may need to make separate windows firewall rules for each of both upn & tcp & the ports you are connecting through.)

Click on link below to find new connection cache for BS. See attachment below, unzip. Then place the files into the db folder within the BS program folder. :) Bearshare MUST be closed at that time! ;)

Edit: see http://www.gnutellaforums.com/host-c...installer.html for obtaining fresh BearShare connection cache. If that fails, see http://www.gnutellaforums.com/host-c...bearshare.html

Lord of the Rings May 26th, 2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronWalkhouse (Post 343594)
Not from where I'm sitting. It is still the best one for getting the most out of gnutella, if your computer can handle it, because it does a lot that others cannot.

Mine is 3.2 GHz, 16 GB ram, 4 x TB drives. Anything I'm missing? My BS beta connects fine, perhaps a tcp issue however with router. :p :) (udp seems to do fine however. I did set up a separate udp firewall rule however.)

How many Phex users do you connect to on average, as either ultrapeer or with them as leafs? Phex is very connected to the 'other' gnutella users, not totally under the spell of LW. That's why I like Phex, it connects to hosts not necessarily of LW users & can find those difficult to find files over the other side of the gnutella network so to speak. :)

msuh08 May 26th, 2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Rings (Post 343913)
First means disconnected. Change connection cache, make sure BS is cleared with appropriate ports in your windows firewall (may need to make separate windows firewall rules for each of both upn & tcp & the ports you are connecting through.)

Click on link below to find new connection cache for BS. See attachment below, unzip. Then place the files into the db folder within the BS program folder. :) Bearshare MUST be closed at that time! ;)

Lol um whats the db folder?? sorry but im a big noob. I used bearshare for the last 4 years and never had a problem. I just got a new comp and redownloaded it. If you could give me a small step by step that would be great!

Peerless May 26th, 2009 02:30 PM

DataBase folder....program files\bearshare\db

sweetlibra51 May 26th, 2009 08:14 PM

can't connect
 
thanks aaronwalkhouse, i did exactly what you said and my bearshare is connecting just fine

_Mannequin_ May 27th, 2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peerless (Post 343596)
hey d00d....how'd you like to see what a certain 'member's area' looks/feels like?

its just a couple of mouse clicks away.....:rofl:

:welcomeani:

Peerless May 27th, 2009 10:45 PM

let me guess...

now that you've come to the conclusion that LimeWire is more aptly called LameWire you've decided that BearShare hasn't given up the ghost yet...

AaronWalkhouse May 29th, 2009 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Rings (Post 343914)
Mine is 3.2 GHz, 16 GB ram, 4 x TB drives. Anything I'm missing? My BS beta connects fine, perhaps a tcp issue however with router. :p :) (udp seems to do fine however. I did set up a separate udp firewall rule however.)

How many Phex users do you connect to on average, as either ultrapeer or with them as leafs? Phex is very connected to the 'other' gnutella users, not totally under the spell of LW. That's why I like Phex, it connects to hosts not necessarily of LW users & can find those difficult to find files over the other side of the gnutella network so to speak. :)

I haven't seen a Phex node in months. Probably a coincidence.

On your PC you probably have multiple cores. Whenever you start BearShare
go into Taskman and set BearShare's affinity to use all the cores you find.
That will speed it up a bit. ;]

pdawg93 May 29th, 2009 11:32 AM

Hey Aaron, maybe it would be easier if you just came over to my house and did all of this for me. lol

djlowry June 11th, 2009 11:04 AM

Hi guys,

im using 5.2.5 aswell however it won't connect for me. I unzipped the files and put them in the 'db' folder. Has anyone any other ideas as to what might be stopping it from connecting?

Thanks.

Lord of the Rings June 11th, 2009 11:35 AM

Did you make an exception for Bearshare TCP & UDP ports in your firewall rules?

djlowry June 11th, 2009 12:05 PM

Working perfect now, thanks!

senfcola July 13th, 2009 09:32 AM

Hi,

I have Vista basic and 5.2.5 and it wont connect. I also tried aaron's 5.1.0 beta. Both versions with files for db folder - no result.
5.2.5. erased these files again!!

I even switched off my firewall and enabled compatibility for XP SP2.

I get minimal traffic (30kbps) but no connection.


Can you please help me?

Lord of the Rings July 13th, 2009 09:18 PM

Try forcing the Beta into Ultrapeer mode; see http://www.gnutellaforums.com/host-c...nutella-5.html :) Oh & try using that connection cache I posted .. get to that page via the 2nd link in that top post.

punnzzells July 18th, 2009 11:36 PM

Newbie here....

I just wanted to let you guys know that your dedication and hand holding through each process was and is AMAZING.... even a newb like myself got it to work!

thanks

willievaslot July 24th, 2009 02:48 PM

bearshare not connecting

Lord of the Rings July 24th, 2009 02:53 PM

Have you tried this technique: http://www.gnutellaforums.com/host-c...bearshare.html :) You will need fresh connection cache as suggested in that link. ;)

ekay July 26th, 2009 12:55 PM

same problem here and ima noob aswell sry guys. i have umm bearshare 5.2.5. been using it for years. also all of a sudden stopped connecting to the network. i tried the old beta that aaronwalkhouse recommends and it worked fine but i really wish to fix my 5.2.5 version. i believe the problem is that when i try to unzip the fresh nodes i get this message.

im using windows vista.

!\Desktop\connect.zip: Cannot create connect(1).txt
! Access is denied.
!\Desktop\connect.zip: Cannot create gwebcache(1).dat
! Access is denied.
!\Desktop\connect.zip: Cannot create What you do with this stuff..txt
! Access is denied.

Lord of the Rings July 26th, 2009 01:12 PM

Is that from the zip file in my link or from AaronWalkhouse's?

Have you tried putting the zip file in your user account documents folder & unzipping from there?
Which unzip program are you using?

Peerless July 26th, 2009 04:04 PM

just for verification I downed the cache file from your linked to post and it extracted just fine for me...

ekay August 1st, 2009 07:38 PM

i did try the link in your file from aaronwalkhouse. also tried the more recent one i believe.

i am using winrar.
and no but i will try to do it by extracting it from my user account.

DJEclipz September 13th, 2009 12:06 PM

Guys...... i am really sorry for jumping on here ans asking THE SAME QUESTION again.... But i am a true NOOB!!! and when you talk about unzipping, ports and firewalls i just get dizzy. My knowledge of a pc stretches as far as Cut, Copy & Paste :( I have been having the same problem as everyone else with the single red light and not being able to connect.. Is there any chance someone could Dumb this right down for me almost as if u were talking to a 5 year old and help me sort this out... Ur help would be greeeeeaaaaatly Appreciated. Cheers!

Where do i start??

Peerless September 13th, 2009 03:11 PM

Google would be a good start...if you type in something like "what is a firewall" you will most likely get a result that leads to wikipedia, which would contain some good info...

sorry, but I'm not in the mood to try and word things differently, i.e. dumb them down...they are already pretty damned straight forward IMO...

mageeda September 13th, 2009 05:07 PM

I Figured it out
 
For those of you who want bearshre to work.. here is how its done... to me a lot of messing around to do it...

1) delete old version of bearshare

2) go to link below and get beta version 5 of BS. it wont work unless you also download the starter utility..

http://www.gnutellaforums.com/open-discussion/53386-bearshare-has-been-sabotaged.html


3) down load starter utility

4) install starter utility

5) install ver 5 beta of bearshare..

6) get new list of ultra peers from link below - where is says cache... the zip wouldnt open for me and i had to use the rar - i had to download winrar

http://www.gnutellaforums.com/host-c...bearshare.html

if you follow instructions on how to load new ultrapeer list it will work.... with the 2 files you put from cache to db file... delete the old ones then paste in new ones...

i had 20 peers connected..... was flyyyiiiinnnnn

good luck.. let me know if it works for you,,,

fujimotto December 12th, 2009 01:35 PM

Bearshare connection problem
 
hi i read what mageeda wrote about downloading bs v 5 with the starter utility except it tells me that the version of bearshare is expired, i downloaded the started utility first and then ran bearshare 5 and it tells me its expired can you help me?

Lord of the Rings December 12th, 2009 02:23 PM

You should open the BearStart utility, not the BearShare Test program you installed. ;) ie: put a shortcut to the BearStart v2.exe file to where you desire. You may need to make an exception in your security software for BearStart also since some security software may see it as an issue turning your computer clock back temporarily for a few seconds. :)

mageeda December 14th, 2009 08:15 AM

Hi guys..

this will work but as the last guy said - it changes your clock back to like 2002 or something. if you then change your clock to 2009 the version will say expired and not work. you have to decide what you want more.. bearshare working or a clock that says its 2009....

Lord of the Rings December 14th, 2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mageeda (Post 351140)
Hi guys..

this will work but as the last guy said - it changes your clock back to like 2002 or something. if you then change your clock to 2009 the version will say expired and not work. you have to decide what you want more.. bearshare working or a clock that says its 2009....

BearStart only changes the computer clock back for a few seconds. The clock then reverts back to normal. I do advise you put BearStart on the safe/ignore list of your security however. Some security software may get upset with the momentary time change.

mageeda December 14th, 2009 10:04 AM

I never tried that. what do you do? put it on your safe/ignore list, then fix your clock back to normal date? and all should be ok??


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

Copyright 2015 Gnutella Forums.
All Rights Reserved.