|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|Mac OSX Problems with installing LimeWire for Mac OSX users|
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Can't open Limewire install, Disk Copy terminates
I have downloaded the LimewireOSX.dmg file a few times using Safari, with mixed results, but I can't seem to get the file to mount - when the Disk Copy window appears everything seems to be going okay then I get the message "Disk Copy Helper has unexpectedly terminated". I'm pretty new to Macs so I'm really not sure what else I can do about this - it may be a problem with my software, this has happened when I've tried to download other dmg files. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I was tempted to say do a SAFE boot & repair permissions. That would be my 1st reaction. SAFE Boot & Repair Permissions (or see Resolving Disk, Permission, and Cache Corruption)
Thanks for getting back, here's some details about the system I'm using. If you need more info please ask, like I said I don't know my mac very well yet!
Processor 500MHz PowerPC G3
OSX V. 10.2
I also noticed the hard disk seems to be partitioned, with two disk icons on the desk top - one OSX and one OS 9. The OSX hard disk is near full (200-300 MB left I think), the OS 9 disk has 3 GB and is hardly ever used (can I still use this part of the disk in OSX?). I was thinking the lack of memory may be causing probs? Ideally I think I'd like to wipe the hard disk and re install but not brave enough, having never had a mac before...plus its my girlfriend's computer...
Definitely downloaded from www.limewire.com, so no problem there, although after a couple of abortive install attempts I wasn't able to download limewire at all, getting the message "cannot create file" when I tried. The file seems to have downloaded fine now though...
Gonna try the safeboot/repair permissions now, thanks for the help.
I have to tell you, 300 MB HDD free or whatever is simply not enough to run OSX. All OSX programs use Virtual Memory (VM) which is memory temporarily stored on the Hard disk drive instead of in ram. Even OSX system requires some VM also. You either need an xtra internal or external HDD or backup some of the files onto cd/dvd-r/rw so you have more space available. I should imagine a no. of your programs, particularly any graphic programs might also have difficulty running.
Ok so I understand you're using an old mac, but something has to give to allow your OSX programs the freedom to operate normally without being squeezed continually by lack of HDD space. BTW not a bad speed for a G3, I have a G4 at only 400 MHz. lol (But not the one I generally use.)
I'm purely speaking from the standpoint of the health of running your system. I know this is probably a difficult issue to consider. I've had same problem on older macs with limited space.
Did the safe boot and verified permissions, still no joy opening the LW dmg file. Thanks for the info re Virtual memory Lord of the Rings, I think you're probably right and the memory issue is causing problems. Gonna try offloading some stuff to CD ROM then try again, cheers again.
I'm not quite sure how you do it on a partitioned disk but unless you have any reason for keeping it I would get rid of every last bit of OS9. On my G3 there are 3 hard drives, one used to have os9 on it but a couple of folders dragged to the trash turned it into a purely storage disc for pictures and music.
There is physical space in a G3 for 3 hard drives (actually one space may be for a CD burner but I'm not into that.
Your 160 MB Memory is not enough. I have 320 and I think that is not really not enough either. I'm on 400mhz so your speed is great as LOTR said.
The other big problem you have is your free space. You should be able to store files like pictures and video and music on the OS9 portion of your drive, but operate them with OSX Don't start trying to use Classic. It is a total waste of time!
HOWEVER 3GB is not enough space. If you use limewire you will fill that amount of space quicker than you might think! plus which. Limewire is a hungry beast and unless you operate it with a good 1 1/2 GB Free space ... (I think that's what LOTR referred to as virtual memory), after several hours the old mac will be stretched to the limit and will crash.
So your one question about using the OS9 portion of the disc, is yes I'm sure you can use it, and if you delete OS9 and it's applications you will have more space again.
The resulting disc will then be fine as a "Start up disc" which will hold OSX and your applications. Obtain a second hard drive 20- 40 GB or more. however much you have you will fill it!.....and put in the same amount of memory again.
But I advise befreinding a local Mac Geek to do the job or check you are doing it right
One more thing, is that it is possible that the latest Limewire will still not opperate in OSX 10.2 If this is the case there is a cure, but you need to get the computer sorted first. I hope this helps. Keep in touch.
Thanks for the advice, ah if only money was no object...
Think for the time being I'm gonna try and make the most of what I've got though. You were right about the OS 9 disk, just deleted the lot (although system settings folder wouldn't delete...), so now I've got just over 3GB which although not ideal, shouldn't interfere with installing LimeWire.
I thought only 65MB or thereabouts was required...
Anyway, I finally got LimeWire install to start up, but now that doesn't work - when I double click 'Install LimeWire', an icon appears in the dock, bounces, then disappears - what do I do? Is this because I'm using an older version of OSX (as you suggested)?
Thanks for your help!
Reinstalling Java will normally fix this issue. It seems that OS 10.2's last Java was version 1.4.1 which can be reinstalled via this link: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...formacosx.html
If you get an error saying it's already installed, then double-click the hard drive icon, open the Library, open the Receipts folder, then find the file: Install LimeWire.pkg, delete it and try again. Receipts folder sample image
It's hard disk space you need for your startup disk drive. Whichever drive OSX is situated, needs some space freed up. To keep a check upon how much ram & VM each program & OSX uses, go to ... Utilities folder & open Activity Monitor (I think it was called that in 10.2)
At the moment my LW is using 168 MB RAM & 849 MB VM. The longer it runs the more VM mounts up.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|internet connection terminates after limewire start||ewg550||Connection Problems||5||January 17th, 2007 08:10 AM|
|virtual pc install W/O cd or install disk???||docmac||General Mac OSX Support||0||September 16th, 2005 08:28 PM|
|i download program and copy to disk but it wont open asks me to open it with what?||cabby1073||General Windows Support||1||February 19th, 2005 12:26 AM|
|error message: Attempting 2 copy 2 disk failed. Don't have enough access priveleges.||beddy||Download/Upload Problems||4||January 30th, 2005 03:47 PM|
|I download .dmg files and disk copy doesn't recognize the file. What can I do?||Jamey||Mac||1||March 12th, 2003 09:36 AM|