|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|Open Discussion topics Discuss the time of day, whatever you want to. This is the hangout area. If you have LimeWire problems, post them here too.|
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Just got a quick ? ISP says d/L speed is 6.0 Mbps and u/L is 512kbps. Did speed test with LW closed, results = d/L - 5984kbps & u/L - 422kps. What I would like to know is should I set my connection speed at cable/dsl or T1 or whatever.... ISP is Bellsouth Fast Access DSL. Any other help info for optimal performance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
We are going to need a little more info.
Can you give us a total description of your set up:
1. OS version? (Eg: Windows 98)
2. What firewalls you have?
3. How much ram?
4. Hard Disk space available?
5. Connection type? (Eg: dialup, broadband, cable, etc.)
6. Modem & router brand name & model numbers?
7. Where are you trying to connect from (home, school, work, etc.)?
8. What version of Limewire (LW) & Java do you have? (Go to LW's menu Help>About LW...) Will show both LW & Java version.
9. Who is your ISP provider? ( AOL/MSN/Comcast/Tiscal)
10. Are you sharing the connection with other computers or p2p sharing programs? If yes, please give details of set up.
11. Do this simple test for us. Using your browser go here: http://www3.limewire.com:6346/ The page should say 'Your test worked!'. What happens when you go there?
These details are vital if you want us to find out what your connection problem is.
* Did you configure your firewall so it allows LW full access (advisable not to have 2 active firewalls b/c they can interfere with each other. http://www.limewire.com/english/content/firewalls.shtml
12. Do This test, Is the result True/False?
http://www.gnutellaforums.com/showth...757#post103757 Is the result True/False
13. Do a speed test post the results here.
Norton internet Security 2006
2 hard drives 160gb - 149 available, 120gb - 8 available
Broadband 6.0mbps download, 512kbps upload
LW 4.11.0 connects at home w/ java 1.5.06
Bellsouth Fast Access DSL
Don't have a connection problem, I just want to get the best download/upload speeds for the speed that I have. I never had a problem downloading or uploading. I just want the BEST performance I can possibly get.
WHITE SHADOW - I YIELD TO GRANDPA
He knows lots of STUFF. I always read and pay attention to his advice.
I do want to say that I was not suggesting that your upload speed was affecting your downloads. It's other people's upload speed and other settings which will affect your downloads. I think your original upload setting was correct for the results of the speed test you provided. Your upload and download speeds may be a wee low but follow Grandpa's tests.
You did indicate that downloading a file showing 10 or more hosts presented another problem. Mind sharing that problem?
Can anyone give me advice. I am a new member with limewire pro and have a new quick laptop. I have 1meg cable broadband. Every time i connect it states that i have a turbo charged connection. I have downloaded 2 movies but they took about 5 hours each to do. The speeds sometimes go up to about 95 kbs but never for long and then they can go right down to 2/3kbs without warning. Also i preview on media player and on a lot of the dvd movies it keeps saying media player cannot play this file because the file is corrupt or the player does not support the format i am trying to play. I am not sure this can be corrupt as there is 84 sources to one that i tried. Sorry to ask so many questions but i am new to this.
You should set your connection to T1 DL unlimited UL 51 if you have a true 512kbs UL capability. Now here comes the tricky part. You have to remember that when you DL. The number of files you are downloading the number of Kb/s you are DL and the number of host at all affect your UL speed setting.
If you are DL at 800Kb/s you have to remember that every person you are connected to sends a piece of the file and LimeWire has to tell that computer and the others that it has received it and which piece it needs. The more files you are DL and more people you are DL from the more bandwidth needed to preform the task.
From the testing I have done I have found that if you are doing heavy DL lets say 6 files DL from 70 people at 800Kb/s then you need to multiply the number of host by .35 and subtract this number from your Max UL speed. 70 X .35 = 24.5 so in this scenario your UL should be( UL Bandwidth 512/8=64Kb/s-24.5Kb/s=39.5Kb/s)
Hope this helps
I am a little confused here you said in your first post you have 3000kbps/300kbps. Well 8kbps=1KB/s so 3000kbps = 375KB/s and 300kbps = 37.5KB/s in you second post you say you have 256kbps/58kbps which is 256kbps = 32KB/s AND 58kbps = 7.5KB/s.
If you have 3000kbps/300kbps you need to set Limewire to cable and your DL to unlimited and your UL to 30KB/s
If you have 256kbps/58kbps you will need to set it to Dial-Up and set the DL to unlimited and the UL to 5.8KB/s
The link below is to another speed test site if you scroll down the page there is a speed test site in Prague which is a little closer to you. And should give you a more accurate test results.
Hi Grandpa and thanks,
3000kbps/300kbps.- thats right.., in my second post I wrote it wrong..
2.) windows firewall and now it is turned off and norton antivirus firewall but its turned off as well
3.) 240 ram..( its unusal number, I know)
4.)available 38 GB
6.)motorola SB5101E Surfboard cable modem
9.) Its called karneval, I guess..
10.) I am not sharing the connection with other computers and I have no other P2P programms
11.)my test worked
I made a speed test - 263 kbps/57 kbps..(http://www.ookla.com/speedtest/)
I am a little bit confused by their kbps..I guess it means kBp/s..,that B is important..
I ran the test at the site you used on mine it read 6508kbps which is 813KB/s and 356kbps which is 44.5 KB/s.
kbps means kilobit and KB/s means kilobyte it takes 8kbps to make 1KB/s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KB/s
So the results you got mean you have about 33KB/s Download and 7KB/s Upload. Use the speed test site at the link below it is in the Czech Republic, it is located in Prague. And should be more accurate for you. It showed me as 159KB/s Download which would be about right for 1/2 way around the world. I think the test site you used is in the US.
This is really weird, but now I know that in your last post you hit the point. I can´t explain it to myself, my speed should be..download/upload - 3000/300Kbps, but that DSL test shows - download - 33 kB/sec and speed of connection - 264,4 kbps,..
My speed was better in past, so if it will not improve soon, I will make a claim it.
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.gnutellaforums.com/open-discussion-topics/27036-few-things-consider-while-configuring-limewire-optimal-performance.html
|FrostWire Community Forums • View topic - low speeds||This thread||Refback||March 9th, 2012 06:37 PM|
|FrostWire Community Forums • View topic - download speed||This thread||Refback||May 4th, 2011 10:12 AM|
|FrostWire Community Forums • View topic - My connecyion is very slow||This thread||Refback||April 21st, 2011 07:06 AM|
|FrostWire Community Forums • View topic - Uploads taking up too much bitrate||This thread||Refback||March 21st, 2011 05:46 AM|
|Untitled document||This thread||Refback||January 7th, 2011 06:50 AM|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|need help !!!! I need help configuring limewire!||jakebrooks||Getting Started Using LimeWire||1||January 17th, 2007 03:14 PM|
|Limewire Optimal Performance Settings||2pac_77||Getting Started Using LimeWire||3||October 18th, 2006 04:29 PM|
|Need Help Configuring Limewire Pro||mohsen||Connection Problems||0||October 3rd, 2006 07:55 AM|
|Configuring Limewire Pro with Router||macca123||Connection Problems||2||April 16th, 2006 08:02 AM|