|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|Open Discussion topics Discuss the time of day, whatever you want to. This is the hangout area. If you have LimeWire problems, post them here too.|
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
How to use Bitzi Web Lookup .. & How to use Magnet Links & Direct Connect/Browse/Chat
Here's an option which can help people find whether there are good or bad reports about a particular file. And if there is no feedback about a particular file, we would hope people will post their findings to help others.
Right-click (mac use control-click) on the file in the search results & choose Advanced -> Bitzi Web lookup & your browser will open. If there's any info about it then it will show you. Users report whether a file is good or bad. I recommend you also add feedback to help Bitzi be more efficient. They need as much input as possible. You can also search the Bitzi site. (Edit: the magnet links at bitzi are either too old or not totally compatible with gnutella! So don't even try them!)
BTW I've added the newer location of finding Bitzi search option in the 2nd attachment image (as I noted at lower down in this thread.)
LimeWire 5 users see post #6 below about how to use Bitzi lookup
Last edited by Lord of the Rings; February 11th, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Once you're at the Bitzi site you can view the reports. I've split this sample report into 3 to save viewer space. Normally it will be on one page. As you can see, there's alternate names this sample is known by. So in this case you could search for any of the alternatives & might be able to find more sources to downld from. And in this case the original magnet link seems to be an old one & didn't work as well as some of the alternate named ones. By the way, to submit files to the Bitzi site & their BitPedia Encyclopedia you'll need their Bitzi Bitcollider Utility (click on link) & finally, How to use Bitcollider for your own files & adding info & feedback to Bitzi (click on link)
Last edited by Lord of the Rings; February 16th, 2008 at 03:58 AM.
How to use Magnet Links & Direct Connect
If you're wanting to send files to a particular person such as a friend or relative you can direct connect or another way is to use magnet links.
For Direct Connect, see: How to Direct Connect, Browse & Chat (click on link) & keep in mind your & their firewall need to be properly configured for LW's full access otherwise you will have some problems using DC. To find out do this test: Bug Report instructions & sample image Is the result True/False? If false then you need to configure your firewall (only need one firewall as 2 can interfere with each other.) Remember XP has its own firewall. Instructions section by section: Firewall problems? Check here first! (click on link). * Direct Connect & Chat do not apply to LimeWire 5 users. 'Share with Friends' has replaced Direct Connect. For 'Browsing Host', see post #6 below.
For Magnet links (See image below), (LW 5 users see post #6 at bottom to see how to obtain the magnet link) this is also a very effective method of sending particular files to other people. Go to your LW Library window, select the file you wish to send, Right-click (Control-click for mac users) & select Magnet Details for file, & your browser will open & give you the details of the magnet link. Use the link opposite the 'Magnet' word. Then copy & paste this link address & email or send it via chat to your friend. They can copy & paste this magnet link address into their browser & the browser will send the details to their LW which will immediately open & start to downld the file. Of course you both should have LW open at that time so they can access your LW shared files. Once they are connected, they & you can browse each other's files. Remember to browse someone it's best to have Chat enabled. (Image below is purely an example & some details been changed.)
Last edited by Lord of the Rings; September 2nd, 2009 at 06:58 AM.
I made a small error in my details. LW does not need to be open at the time you type the magnet details into your browser address bar. After typing the address in & entering, LW (or your default magnet handler) will automatically open. (I thought it was about time I fixed this error in my instructions though it's not so important.)
New location for Bitzi Web Lookup & Magnet links (this applies to LimeWire 4 only! It was a new location in 2005 )
When doing a Bitzi Web lookup for search results, you'll find the option under the Advanced options.
Example for Mac OSX users below. OSX users use Control-click (far left lowest key) on the file of course to get the option. This example below was from the Library window with a shared file. Either Show magnet details or Copy to Clipboard work fine for obtaining magnet details for giving someone else. Either way you're going to be copying it. But Show details allows you to makes sure the details are correct.
Last edited by Lord of the Rings; February 11th, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Browse hosts in LimeWire 5
For LimeWire 5 users, to Browse another host's files you can click on the downward arrow next to their listing in the search results. If difficulty doing this, right-click (control-click for mac users) on a search result. Choose View Files of .... If there's multiple file listings within the one search result, you have the choice of which host to Browse. (see such an example in image below) The Browse Host search result tab is found beside the normal search tabs (the Browse Host search simply shows as a separate search window), or for earlier LW 5 versions it is found under the 'On LimeWire' tab below the 'Share with friends' tab. This also depends whether you are using the Classic search window or List mode. Those hosts listed in faded grey cannot be browsed. It is much more difficult to browse hosts from the upload window than search results window or download window. One tip, if you see a host with multiple files listed in search results, select each one simultaneously, right-click & choose Browse host, this sometimes seems to give LW a stronger browse attempt.
Fair is fair! Do not be cheeky to browse other persons files if you are not sharing files. If you are not sharing files, you are not worthy of browsing other's files. Remember, p2p file-sharing is sharing files between us, not being greedy, selfish & unsharing. There are no website servers, only other persons like yourself happy to share with others who are happy to share files.
Why Browse host? They may have more similar files to what you are looking for. Browsing host with similar files 'might' also help you in your endeavours seeking a rare file & thus get you further in your later searches. (The sample image below is an earlier LW 5 version, I will update it soon.)
Bitzi Lookup and Magnet Links for LimeWire 5 users
Right-click a search result & choose View File Info ... from the pop up menu. _ From the Properties Information window, click on the More File Info link near the top right corner which will open up your browser web page & take you to Bitzi. If the file is listed you can see other good or bad user reports about the file, else you can report the file yourself. Magnet Links for LW 5's Shared Library: Click on the Copy Link which will copy the Magnet link (for a file in your Library), which you can then send to a friend. All they need to do is type this address into their browser & LW should open & start downloading your file. (This file needs to be a Shared file.)
Last edited by Lord of the Rings; February 2nd, 2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Updated some Browse Host comments.
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.gnutellaforums.com/open-discussion-topics/37676-how-use-bitzi-web-lookup-how-use-magnet-links-direct-connect-browse-chat.html
|FrostWire Community Forums • View topic - trying to find files and results appear to be fakes||This thread||Refback||September 25th, 2011 04:56 PM|
|Untitled document||This thread||Refback||January 31st, 2011 05:36 PM|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Bitzi lookup ?????||moe2006||Download/Upload Problems||4||March 15th, 2006 09:57 AM|
|How to allow others to browse/direct connect?||stephyjoy22||Open Discussion topics||1||October 16th, 2005 08:29 PM|
|Bitzi and magnet links||flampy||Download/Upload Problems||2||July 23rd, 2005 11:20 AM|
|Bitzi Web Lookup||THE Old Man||Download/Upload Problems||5||February 13th, 2005 06:53 AM|