|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|Open Discussion topics Discuss the time of day, whatever you want to. This is the hangout area. If you have LimeWire problems, post them here too.|
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
I downloaded the new version of LimeWire the other day to replace my older copy. Here, and elsewhere (Morpheus), I have been following the discussion about spyware. And scumware which is what I consider the crap that has now found a home inside my computer.
Using Adaware and just plain old fashioned deleting I thought I had removed all the cydoor and topmoxie applications. Not quite. Upon starting my computer today I got an instant error message before Windows would open concerning the absence of a C\programs\adware(?) file that topmoxie had installed. Sure, I deleted the file yesterday along with everything else I could find with either of these two programs.
A search under the Microsoft System Information application into my Start Up programs finds a file called E Traffic stuck in my registry that is suppose to begin a program named C:\program files\topmoxie\JavaR... And that topmoxie file is gone.
I am not a computer geek and have no idea whatsoever how to twick my registry. Adaware does not show this trojan gift either. Whatever. Now I get to see an error message every time I start up or download the spyware/scumware proframs all over and then worry about what else they are doing to my property.
I fully understand Limeware's need for revenue. Life is not free. However, installing something without permission or a full explanation deep within a person's computer is akin to theft and/or malicious behavior. No one would smile if they found out that their local serviceman had stuck something inside their car or washer or stereo that took on a life of its own and could not be removed without difficulty or harming the original product.
This activity is going to result in a lot of bad publicity and attention once more and more users are aware of what is happening to their computers. Especially when they find out that these viruses are consuming space, slowing ones speed down, compiling personal information, and who knows what else. Limewire has made a serious mistake associating with this kind of behavior.
PLEASE check out "removing topmoxies win xp. i nolonger can find any files that involve topmoxies in my computer and i have no problems with pop up ads (i get no pop up ads when using LW at all but the banner is still there and thats coll with me)also let me know how things are going.
Hey man,I just downloaded Norton personal firewall and Norton utilities and I used Norton utilities to delete it from my registry and I haven't had any problems since then.I am not a computer genius or anything that is for sure but it seems to have worked.
Yup, I found out about this topmoxie crap when I installed 2.1.3
The only reference I found is at the very end of the license agreement. I'm almost certain that I checked this and found no reference, but I since deleted that file. The new download of 2.1.3 does have the reference, so I either did not see it (doubtfull in my mind, since I was going through different versions at the time looking for the newest one without topmoxie), or they forgot to include this in the agreement and updated it.
At any rate, I now use FreeWire, which does not have this crap. Like the other person says, I understand the need for revenue, but they are well aware that nobody really reads those agreements anyway, so putting it there, and only there was a dirty trick in my book. They can always say "hey, it's in the agreement", but I am a software developer, and quite computer savy, and it got me too. I have of course deleted this from my system, along with 2.1.3.
Note that the agreement for 2.1.1 makes no reference to topmoxie, so I would hope this one is safe. you can get it from LimeWire's site here:
As far as cydoor goes, it is supposedly uninstallable.
For those who want a much more friendly version, you can get FreeWire here:
It has no banners either. Or if you prefer, you may like the nicely done AquaLime, available here:
It was done with a very attractive skin made to look like the Aqua theme available on the Mac.
You guys think this is something... check this out:
"Brilliant Digital Entertainment, a California-based digital advertising technology company, has been distributing its 3D ad technology along with the Kazaa software since late last fall. But in a federal securities filing Monday, the company revealed it also has been installing more ambitious technology that could turn every computer running Kazaa into a node in a new network controlled by Brilliant Digital.
The company plans to wake up the millions of computers that have installed its software in as soon as four weeks. It plans to use the machines--with their owners' permission (wink wink)--to host and distribute other companies' content, such as advertising or music. Alternatively, it might borrow people's unused processing power to help with other companies' complicated computing tasks"
..."However, people who accept "terms of service" already distributed with Brilliant's and Kazaa's software are already agreeing to let their computers be used without any payment at all.
"You hereby grant (Brilliant) the right to access and use the unused computing power and storage space on your computer/s and/or Internet access or bandwidth for the aggregation of content and use in distributed computing," the terms of service read. "The user acknowledges and authorizes this use without the right of compensation." "
A wee bit more ambitious than just trying to sell you stuff.
for the full story see my post titled "check-out this sh*t - new spyware" a bit further down the forum.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|topmoxie error||red68dog||Open Discussion topics||0||April 17th, 2004 09:06 AM|
|deleted didn't uninstall topmoxie||cyberraga29||General Windows Support||3||January 29th, 2003 08:16 PM|
|Removing BDE and Topmoxie...||sipher||Open Discussion topics||1||April 7th, 2002 12:37 PM|
|removing topmoxie w/win XP||Unregistered||Open Discussion topics||1||March 24th, 2002 07:12 PM|
|Topmoxie spyware?||Unregistered||Open Discussion topics||1||March 4th, 2002 09:28 AM|